Kerfe's Reviews > Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery

Hoopla by Leanne Prain

412055
Jul 28, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, textiles, visual-arts, creative-sparks
Read in July, 2012

This is by far the best of the recently published stitch books I've seen. A combination of showcase, instruction, and projects, and including a wide range of artists, techniques and general inspiration, this would be a good gift for anyone who stitches or loves stitching.

I was familiar with some of the work, but I don't feel anyone here is overexposed or just riding a trend. And of course some appeal to me more than others. I was particularly taken with Sherri Lynn Wood's dolls and banners and the maps of Liz Kueneke, Annie Coggan Crawford and Krista Muir. Ray Masterson's tiny masterpieces (and story), Aubrey Long Ley-Cook's animal/animation, the colors of Takashi Iwasaki, the faces of Cate Anerski and Alexandra Waters, Lynn Kearns' tatto gloves, and the virus doilies of Laura Splan also deserve mention. And I enjoyed the words, attitude, and work of Richard Saja and Penny Nickels as an apt conclusion to the book.

Plenty of references--websites, books and magazines, museums--enough to keep you busy on the computer for days, if not weeks.

One complaint: can we officially retire the word "subversive"? Is there anything left in the inter-and-over-connected art world to subvert? Just make and enjoy what speaks to and for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hoopla.

12/24/2016 marked as: read