Wendy Darling's Reviews > The Siren

bookshelves: adult, read-2012
Read in July, 2012

Meh.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Siren.

The Holy Terror Everyone has been saying this is awesome, but I've been skeptical. What held it back for you?

message 2: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jul 30, 2012 08:36PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wendy Darling Unsexy sex and unromantic romance, THT. Plus I'm not really into BDSM anyway (it's pretty hardcore here, although not nearly as explicit as I expected) and I just didn't really like anybody in it. :/

Katie(babs) The BDSM Catholic priest did you in? snerk

Wendy Darling Hah hah, nope. The fact that he wasn't sexy to me was a problem, though.

Katie(babs) Wendy Darling wrote: "Hah hah, nope. The fact that he wasn't sexy to me was a problem, though."

I shouldn't have liked this book but I did. I think readers will either adore Soren or think he's one messed up freak. I um think um Soren um is sexy *ninja vanish*

Wendy Darling I'll send him your way if he ever comes knocking on my door, Katie. ;) Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority on this one! Oh, well.

Katie(babs) Wendy Darling wrote: "I'll send him your way if he ever comes knocking on my door, Katie. ;) Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority on this one! Oh, well."

He does something so WTF to Nora in the sequel that had me O.o. Involves blood O.o

Wendy Darling Oh yeah? Do you mind telling me what it is in spoilers? I doubt I'll read it, but I AM curious!

Katie(babs) Wendy Darling wrote: "Oh yeah? Do you mind telling me what it is in spoilers? I doubt I'll read it, but I AM curious!"

SPOILER TIME!

In The Angel, Nora more go away for a few months and not contact Soren. The night before she leaves him. he cuts her 7 times with a knife, including on her vay jay jay. That scene shocked the ever loving WTF out of me because it's not only disturbing but very erotic, to cement their bond they have.

Wendy Darling Whoa! And ooooouuucccchhh.

I remember reading a vampire PNR/UF book that involved some pretty erotic biting and some blood. I could get on board with that, but I don't know about a knife! :-( Knives freak me out anyway.

Katie(babs) Wendy Darling wrote: "Whoa! And ooooouuucccchhh.

Also Nora cuts Soren and sucks his blood. erm.

Wendy Darling Oh, it seems to me that sort of thing is a dime a dozen in vampire books, hah. But knives near vaginas...she wins the shockfest award.

Is there going to be another book? Or did things get resolved in Angel?

Katie(babs) Wendy Darling wrote: "Oh, it seems to me that sort of thing is a dime a dozen in vampire books, hah. But knives near vaginas...she wins the shockfest award.

Is there going to be another book? Or did things get resolved..."

There is going to be 5. The Angel also had a big WTF about Soren and his sister. The Prince is in Nov about Nora and Wes and then Soren and Kingsley, then The Priest and finally the last book about how Nora and Soren get together. Tiffany is my new crack even with the disturbing BDSM.

Wendy Darling Wow, really? Good for her. People definitely seem to be responding to it.

(view spoiler)

I will have to keep an eye on your reviews of the sequels so I can at least find out how much crazier things get. I hope you include tons of details and spoilers. :D

Wendy Darling < spoiler > the text you want to hide < / spoiler >

Except remove all the spaces.

Katie(babs) here you go:

(view spoiler)

Amanda The Book Slayer Reading The Siren was like when you come across an accident. You feel horrible for the people and hope all ends well but you can't help but stare and want to find out the details.

Taboo would be my word of choice for Tiffany's books. She doesn't just poke at these things with her finger, no. She takes a red hot poker to them and that motherf*cker hurts. It is not like its one incident and you just sweep it under the rug, oh no they keep coming. But oddly enough it was fascinating to read.

I know you said BDSM isn't really your thing and that's probably a big reason you rated it 2 stars. I thought it was interesting that one of the things that scares this dominatrix switch slave for a sadist who (view spoiler) is terrified of plain missionary style vanilla sex. So really anything you think is yuck about BDSM Nora feels the same about reg. sex. It's like talking a walk on the other side of the tracks.

As far as soren is concerned well...I was not a fan of Soren in The Siren. Really he gave me the creeps but after reading The Angel. Well I think Soren and Nora are a perfect match. Poor Wes, who knows what will happen to him. Maybe Kingsley? I have no idea.

I do applaud you for reading it Wendy. I think the way Tiffany writes is quite refreshing. This one is not for the faint of heart that is for sure. My mother would probably have a heart attack. My mother-in-law would damn me to hell for reading this.

message 18: by Wendy Darling (last edited Aug 04, 2012 10:36PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wendy Darling That is a lot of drama to happen in one book, Katie. Wow. Coupled with what you told me before, that's some pretty ballsy stuff. What will she do to up the ante in the next three books?

Amanda wrote: "I know you said BDSM isn't really your thing and that's probably a big reason you rated it 2 stars."

Partially, but not the only reason. I had a lot things I didn't like about the book, but I didn't choose to write a review because I have neither the time nor the inclination. I think it's one of those books that you either like or you don't.

I didn't say I thought BDSM was "yuck," either. And...thanks, I guess?!

Amanda The Book Slayer Sorry Wendy. I didn't mean to use the word yuck. Lol this is what happens when I try to type with kids running around. I just meant that Nora had a strong reaction to the sex scene. That one really threw me. I didn't mean you. I meant people who don't understand BDSM. Sorry again about that.

Anachronist Short and sweet.