Sue Seligman's Reviews > Friends Forever

Friends Forever by Danielle Steel

F_50x66
Jul 31, 12

Read in July, 2012

I have not read any Danielle Steel books in many years; the last one I read was Big Girl a few years ago. I was excited about the plot summary of this book....5 friends meet in kindergarten, and become best friends throughout their school years and beyond. Their parents also become part of their intimate community, and the years between childhood and adulthood are marked by life experiences of our 21st century society. The characters are faced with joys and sorrows, challenges and triumphs, love and loss. Danielle Steel was interviewed on The View and said she wanted to focus on our young adult generation because of the current pressures facing them; the economy, jobs, competition to gain admission to schools on every level (starting from kindergarten all the way through college and beyond). Her observation that she has attended more funerals of her son's generation(he is 26) than of older people (including her own son's suicide years ago), resonated with me because my children are part of this generation(21 and 25 years old), so I was really anxious to read this book.
This book is a very easy read...I picked it up at the library at about 1:00 PM and I finished it at about 11:00 PM. I did not read non stop, of course, it just was a very easy book to read since the plot flowed from chapter to chapter. I wanted to know what happened to the characters and to see how the conflicts would be resolved. However, as involved as I was with the progress of the story, I am not a huge fan of Danielle Steel's writing style. She tells her stories mostly in narrative, with a bit of dialogue mixed in, and sometimes there are many repetitions, although not as much with this book as with others she has written. So if you are looking for a quick and easy read, pick up this book; it does offer insights into the challenges facing our young adults during these years. Fans of Danielle Steel will love it; she has written 127 books, so she must be doing something right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friends Forever.