Debs's Reviews > The Mermaid Chair

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012, from-library
Read from July 27 to 30, 2012

I felt quite drawn into the island and its characters at the beginning, and I thought the ending as far as Jessie was concerned was perfect - because it was completely imperfect and anything else would have been ridiculous. I also liked the story of the mermaids and the diving imagery.

What I didn't like was the love story. I can deal with the fact that it happened - (i.e. I think humans grow and change, and in a way it's not really natural to stay with the same person and love only one person your whole adult life, though yeah, it was sure as hell irresponsible) - but it was corny as hell and nothing leapt off the page. The love at first sight was a bit meh, and I just didn't really see anything jumping off the page as far as their relationship went. "He ENTERED me and I FELT CHANGED!!!!!" I actually found it quite boring.

So...yes. I liked this book at the beginning and the end, but not so much in the middle.

Has anyone out there ever written a novel where the main character feels the pull towards someone but resists it because...adult? Just wondering.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid Chair.