Jen's Reviews > Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1: Cut Here

202716
Nov 16, 08

bookshelves: comics, religion-mythology-occult, world-culture
Read in November, 2008

My husband first picked up the Crossing Midnight series because we both like Mike Carey a lot. Lucifer was awesome, and David loves the Hellblazer stuff he wrote. This is a series centering on Japanese mythology involving kami and yokai, types of spirits from the spirit world. Toshi and Kai are twins, one born just before midnight and one just after. They both have remarkable abilities that they don't notice until they're about 14 and just starting high school, but they're not the same abilities. Toshi notices that sharp things will not cut her, and Kai can sort of disable magic. A kami from the spirit world, Aratsu, comes to claim Toshi as his own, and while she fights him at first, he threatens her family if she does not come, so she ends up going. In the meantime, Kai promises to help a different spirit, an enemy of Aratsu, if she will heal the damage done to his mother by Aratsu. The artwork is beautiful, and I had a hard time putting the story down - I read all three trades that are out currently in one sitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1.