Stephanie Ward's Reviews > Vestige

Vestige by Deb Hanrahan

Jul 27, 12

bookshelves: for-review
Read in July, 2012

What would you do if one day your younger siblings or your parents disappeared into thin air, along with an alarming amount of other adults and children? That's what happens in Vestige, the first of two books that follows a group of teens during what appears to be the apocalypse. Micah's mother always trained him for the "End Times" and told him he was special. He always thought she was crazy. Did she know about something that other people didn't? All around the world crazy things are beginning to happen. Some are claiming it's the work of terrorists. Others believe it's the End Times mentioned in the Bible. Others don't know what to think and just try to live day to day. Now the government is tagging everyone's right hand with a mark to keep track of them. You can only get food and other privileges if you have the mark. Micah and his new girlfriend, Clarke, try to figure out what is really going on and how they can stop it - before it's too late.

Growing up going to church, I have always heard stories and sermons dealing with the "End Times." The Rapture, the Antichrist, the Mark of the Beast - all of this is familiar to me. That might be part of the reason that I was so engaged in this book. It was creepily familiar and had a tinge of possible reality to it that made it all the more engrossing for me to read. It's a great concept with a well written and fast paced narrative regardless of the reader's familiarity with the concepts. The characters are flawed and completely believable, so it's easy to identify with them early in the book. As I mentioned, the plot deals with the apolcalypse and other references from the Bible, such as the Antichrist, the Mark of the Beast, the Rapture, etc. It also threads a story of a single person who can stop the Antichrist and save the world. This person is supposedly descended from angels and is called the Guardian.

I found the entire story to be a page-turner and I was completely hooked until the end. The novel ends with a great cliffhanger, so I was left wanting more - I wanted to know what happens to the characters and how things were going to end. I couldn't put this book down until the very last page and I am definitely eagerly awaiting the next book. I highly recommend this novel to fans of YA, dystopian, apocalyptic, and thriller genres.

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vestige.