Israel Carlock's Reviews > Captain Alatriste

Captain Alatriste by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Jul 27, 12

Definitely it is good idea to give it the benefit of the doubt. I haven't read it in English but the Spanish version is great, specially this one, the first volume of the saga. I was amazed by the intrigues of the king cortisans, the prime minister (valido) and the description of the saint inquisition Father. It is full of stocades, treachery, conspiracy,passion and good intertextual references to the classic spanish writers. Quevedo himself is a great character and it is no waste to witness his imprudent bravery to either easily shoot verses or use the sword, and it s funny, it made me feel like taking sides between him and Lope followers. And obviously the star is the Alatriste captain, a sober and experienced soldier, sober in language but not in drinking habits. Cautious but brave. Shy if I may say but passionate, poorly educated in words but fluent and solvent when it comes to swords and stocades.There is not great display of literature resources but the adventure story is great, the language simple but very descriptive, sarcastic at times, religious only to swear at others but in generally hilarious and coloquial according to the time the story goes on.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Alatriste.