Jodie's Reviews > Perfect Escape

Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: own
Read from July 27 to 28, 2012

This is my first novel that I have read by Jennifer Brown and it leaves me with the strong desire to find her other novels and bury myself deep into them. Perfect Escape first caught my attention due to the fact that it deals with the main characters brother having OCD and how she struggles to deal with it. I have a close family member who struggles with OCD and refuses to take medicine. It isn't easy dealing with someone with this disorder. It makes it hard for the people around them, and I can't even begin to fathom just what is going on in their heads, along with their own inner battles. This is what brought me to Perfect Escape.
Although Kendra's older brother Grayson is remarkably intelligent and everyone thought he was really going to amount to something when he got older, it has now fallen on Kendra's shoulders to hold up that high image of 'the perfect child'. When Grayson started showing odd and impulsive behavior, everyone had either ignored him, or hoped it would disappear. Yet, that was only the beginning. Kendra now feels as if she is living in the shadows of her older brother while struggling to keep sane and watch over him when he is home.
It's when Kendra is yet again, dealing with Grayson's rock fetish that she has the sudden and crazy idea that she can help him in a way that nobody else has. And as they set out to accomplish this feat, the open road leads to far more than either of them could have ever imagined.
In the end, I loved the bonding that they had shared together. I loved how Grayson was able to do far more with his sister than his ever hovering mother. But in the end, you can't make anyone do something that you want them to. I do wish there would've been more to the ending, possibly a chapter that took place three months later, but a beautifully captured story none the less.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Escape.