Laura's Reviews > Living in Harmony

Publisher: Harvest House Publishers
August 2012
ISBN: 978-0736938662
Genre: Inspirational/Amish

Amy King has planned to marry John Detweiler in November when tragedy strikes. Amy loses her parents, and the family farm. Her two younger sisters decide to stay with family in Lancaster County, but Amy and her sister Nora accompany John to a remote Amish community in Maine. There they plan to marry right away and buy a farm.

But Harmony, Maine, is much different than Lancaster County. The rules are harsher, restricting the colors to dark drab colors. The bonnets are so wide, they act as blinders for the women. No rumspringe is allowed, and neither is courting, unless the parents accompany the couple. And worse—the bishop and ministers in Harmony won’t let John and Amy marry.

Will John and Amy survive the demands placed on them in Harmony, Maine?

LIVING IN HARMONY is the first book in Ms. Ellis’ The New Beginnings series. Amy and Nora are sweet, as is John’s sister-in-law, Sally, though she struggles with most household tasks. Thomas is strict, as demanded by their Ordnung, and John often has to correct Amy and Nora for accidentally breaking the rules.

I enjoyed reading LIVING IN HARMONY, written by an Amish author I consider a friend. I love her writing and her storylines are always fresh and realistic. I enjoyed visiting a new Amish community in rural Maine. Discussion questions and some recipes are included at the end of the book as well as a sneak preview of the second book in the series, Love Comes to Paradise. $13.99. 324 pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living in Harmony.