Aubrey's Reviews > Warm Bodies

4119460
Sep 16, 14

bookshelves: young-adult, 3-star, reviewed, r-2013, my-lifetime, r-goodreads
Read from January 26 to February 01, 2013

I read this because I dislike watching the movie before reading the original material. Moving on now.
My theme word for this one is 'potential'. I knew the premise, I watched the trailer, I saw the glowing praise from Stephenie Meyer of all people emblazoned on the back cover. Basically, I knew what I was getting myself into.
True to expectations, it wasn't the most masterfully written thing under the sun. I've never read 'On the Road', but it was obvious that the author had. Waxing on in attempts at profound imagery that both occurred too frequently and too often dumbed themselves down with the word 'like'. Mr. Marion, I would advise you to make friends with metaphor before simile cripples all your pretty meanderings.
As for the characters, forgiveness and trust seemed to come a little too easily to people whose lives had been completely ripped apart by a terrifying menace. Perhaps they really were approaching zen master level in terms of valuing the bigger picture over the smaller things, but that's not something you can just throw out there and not expect people to question. Especially when you're talking about teenagers dealing with zombies. In this particular scenario, I'd say that hormones didn't make people THAT stupid, but then again. You really never know with those sorts of things.
This book did have its savings points though. You have no idea how nice it was to realize that the author wasn't going to throw out yet another 'reasonable' cause of the zombie plague. It's hard to take the arguments over the scientific accuracy of different methods of raising the dead seriously. A method isn't valid if it only abuses some of the branches of scientific thought instead of all of them. Please.
So I was happy when this book bypassed all that and settled itself for some old fashioned hand wavey magic. I mean, it's zombies. Reanimating themselves through love. Give it a rest.
And last but not least, it may be a love story, it may be young adult, but there were some awfully nasty scenes and quite a lot of foul language. Also mentions of suicidal depression and questioning of the real line between the living dead and desensitized living. If I have to give credit to the author for one thing, it's the realistically hellish scenes and thought patterns that he delved into every so often. Now, if he could just do that more often, and tighten his prose and characterization a bit, there may be hope for him in the literary world yet.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

01/29/2013 page 118
49.0% "Either the definition of YA's changed last time I checked, or someone completely missed the cursing and zombie sex. Personally, I consider the inclusions a plus. Nothing more annoying than naively innocent apocalyptic storylines."

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Do you plan on seeing the movie?

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Brian wrote: "Do you plan on seeing the movie?"

I thought the trailer actually looked rather interesting!

Aubrey Brian wrote: "Do you plan on seeing the movie?"

To be honest, that's the only reason why I even picked up the book.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian I have been a sucker for everything zombie since I was a kid, so I will probably see it this weekend.

Richard - they have the first 4 minutes of the movie on Youtube. Have you watched it? Or just the theatrical trailer?

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Brian wrote: "I have been a sucker for everything zombie since I was a kid, so I will probably see it this weekend.

It was the trailer, which is also on Youtube:

message 6: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten Regardless of how well the book does and I haven't checked, the author got the CHA-CHING of a movie deal. The movie looks like it is shooting for a younger audience than me, but I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian I ended up seeing the movie last weekend and as you suspected Jeffrey it aims for a younger crowd. Not so spectacular. Holding out for the hero that will make Zone One into a film (yes, my fave zombie book of all time - can't recommend it high enough for anyone interested in this subject matter).

Aubrey Seeing the movie tomorrow. Will report back then.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian I saw it last weekend - I'll wait to comment until after you have seen it. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Aubrey Movie verdict: So much awkward teen humor. So much. At least it was the dry type, else I would've been in pain. Also they cut out all the horrific parts of the storyline, which were the only parts that gave me hope for the book. Sigh. America needs to come to grips with its avoidance of tragedy and uglier mundanities of life already. You can't have a decent story without it.

Kirstie Ha ha I saw the film today and I don't regret it. I'm more of the type to watch low budget art films, foreign films, and documentary films but a big budget feel good movie once every six months or so is okay in my book. :)

Aubrey Yes. It could have been worse. Much, much worse. I mean, I didn't walk out. That's something.

Kirstie I'm really not used to mainstream films and theaters that show them to be absolutely honest. I was shocked that a 4:10 showing today was $11.25 and that I had to sit through literally about 20 minutes of commercials before the trailers even came on. That being said, it would have been a huge waste of money to have walked out and I felt like I had already made such an investment just sitting there. I'm used to going to The Music Box or Landmark in Chicago and both of those have a discount pass available for if you buy 5 tickets so it comes out to under 9 bucks easily. I don't know...I guess I am spoiled.

In any case, I thought the first 3 songs were total garbage and not funny but otherwise the film was pretty clever and I will admit, though he's 10 years younger than me, Nicholas Hoult makes a darned cute zombie ;)

Aubrey His shiny shiny eyes. Too bad he's better looking while playing dead.

Kirstie Aubrey wrote: "His shiny shiny eyes. Too bad he's better looking while playing dead." Ha ha you think so? I really liked him in Skins in the second season (not when he's a jerk in the first) btw.

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian Aubrey wrote: "Yes. It could have been worse. Much, much worse. I mean, I didn't walk out. That's something."

I felt that I was the wrong target audience - by at least 20 years. I haven't seen the Twilight movies - was this the zombie version of the vampire story told in that tale? Even the female protagonist looked like a blonde Kristen Stewart.

Kirstie Yeah I can see how you felt it was aimed at a younger audience. I am thinking teens to mid 20s specifically. I refuse to see or read any of the Twilight saga. There is a difference between occasional escapism and letting one's brain turn to mush!

Aubrey Kirstie wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "His shiny shiny eyes. Too bad he's better looking while playing dead." Ha ha you think so? I really liked him in Skins in the second season (not when he's a jerk in the first) btw."

I don't think I've seen him in anything else. So there's that bias affecting my opinion.

Brian wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "Yes. It could have been worse. Much, much worse. I mean, I didn't walk out. That's something."

Didn't she? That really weirded me out. I had to keep checking IMDB to reassure myself that it wasn't KStew.

As for whether this was the zombie version of Twatight, I suppose you could say that, in terms of teen romance gimmicks. However, in the zombie rendition's favor, the book was a whole lot less offensive and morally screwed up than its counterpart, a quality that carried over to the movie. And the movie actually had some color variation to it and the main guy's face didn't look like a foot and the main actress didn't look constipated all the time.

I think about these kinds of things too much.

Kirstie Ok you really have me laughing quite a bit there!

Aubrey Oh good. At least my meanderings about these kinds of things are humorous, instead of pitiful.

message 22: by Brian (new)

Brian I'm probably late to the party, but did anyone else see this?

Aubrey Brian wrote: "I'm probably late to the party, but did anyone else see this?

Oh I saw that. Too friggin' hilarious. Coincided nicely with the return of 'The Walking Dead' as well.

message 24: by Daya (new)

Daya Jessee I always love to read the books before the movies, and critique every single detial that isnt from the book. Sadly, I have to read the book after. But is it worth reading after the movie???