Kristin's Reviews > Books Can Be Deceiving

F_50x66
Aug 01, 12

Read from July 27 to August 01, 2012 — I own a copy

3.5 stars.

I've really enjoyed McKinlay's other novels and though I liked this one, right now, it's my least favorite of all of them. Books Can Be Deceiving follows the typical cozy mystery formula, person recently moves to new town full of friendly people, only to have the calm of life shattered by a murder which either affects them or, in this case their best friend. However, despite the paint-by-the-numbers mystery, I still enjoyed this book.

The characters grew on me, though if this place were real and I lived there, all of the sweet, concerned townfolk would grate on me after a while. I really like Sully, but he needs a bit of an edge. I love cozy mysteries but everyone’s usually a little too vanilla and super nice and that was the case with this book. And as for Professor Cushion, who, since he was naked when we met him, definitely had more of an edge than anyone else in the town, I hope he shows up in the next installment, he’d make a great romantic interest for Beth.

Though this wasn’t a book that will stick in my memory forever, it was a nice read and I will be picking up the sequel, Due or Die at some point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Books Can Be Deceiving.

07/27/2012 page 82