Sparrow's Reviews > French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure

French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: reviewed, non-fiction
Read in January, 2005

Old posts are in spoiler tags below, so you don't have to see them every time I write something new. But, don't worry, I'm not spoilering the outcome of the book. YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENS! Okay, if you want to know: (view spoiler).

Saturday, July 28, 2012:

leeks

Sunday, July 29, 2012:

Monday, July 30, 2012:

Friends, there is a happy ending to this tale of leeks. I was pretty good all day yesterday, and I drank my leek broth as prescribed, and ate my little leek patties when I was hungry. And, I'll tell you, they were actually good - both the broth and the leeks themselves. But, here's the thing, the boiled leeks stink to high heaven. So stinky! Once you actually get them cooked, they smell really good, but until then, double yuck and a sprinkle of yucky yuck. Plus gag.

Anyway, I started feeling a little funny and light headed last night, and I was going out to my favorite sushi place with one of my best friends from law school who is leaving FOREVER on Tuesday, so I ate some sushi. It was damn good. Because it was full of the same stuff that is part of the alternative recipe in this book for if you hate leeks, I don't think it was technically that much of a cheat, but then when I got home I realized that I couldn't open the container of stinky leeks again. I am a lightweight. So, I officially stopped the leek thing after one day, not the two commanded to me.

BUT, I actually do feel less bloated, and I could already feel that yesterday, so that was really nice. Also, the green tea did ward off the caffeine headache, so I think that was a good solution. Overall, it ended happy because it ended with some yummy sushi, mission accomplished with the bloating solution, the stink is out of my house, and my love of leeks remains in place. Moral: I'm glad I didn't kill myself trying to do both days of the leek broth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Women Don't Get Fat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sparrow Huh, interesting.

Sparrow Oh man! Bethenny just released a list of good cleanse foods: http://www.bethenny.com/post/bethenny...

I swear that girl and I are on the same page so often it's weird.

Sparrow Mostly because we are both pop culture celebrities, of course. And because of our successful lines of mixed drinks and affinity for pashminas. Otherwise . . .

message 54: by Aura (new)

Aura I noticed you were talking in past tense about studying for the bar exam in the review, I hope you get good results!
That was helpful. Until recently I was the kind of an ogre who didn't even answer the phone because of studying even if my brain was overcooked, I sort of imploded this year and gave up on studying at all for a while and now I'm developing different ways to approach exams, so there's where the question comes from. It must sound funny to you that we almost never study cases, our classes are stiffly theoretical and in the end we're told to buy their books and that's the end of classes. I usually ignore most of the cases we're assigned and take the inventive way at finals and it works, as we are rarely bound by precedent, and that concerns only the meaning of a vague norm.

The class you took for the bar exam sounds really cool, I'm so envious. There's no chance of anything like it here.

Sparrow Thank you!

The class was honestly kind of awful. I mean, I don't really have complaints about it, and I'm glad I did it because I would have felt totally unprepared for the test otherwise, but it was a pretty terrible experience. The website looks all shiny and fun, but it was incredibly boring. There were definitely some good parts, but not a ton. But you could start your own romanian version for your licensing exams! Do you have something like the bar exam?

Yeah, I was thinking Romania is a civil system. That sounds so different than what we study.

I think it's definitely a good idea to give your brain a rest when it's over loaded. It's difficult to do, but you work better later, I think. I definitely spent days this summer staring at my computer when I should have walked away, though. It's tough not to be a cave ogre when there is so much to do.

message 56: by Aura (new)

Aura The syllabus for the bar exam here looks much like yours, at least at first sight, though I expect yours to be a bit more demanding, the competition must be fiercer.

Uhm, what do you mean by starting my own Romanian version? I see on the web site that it covers only US, as expected. (sigh) And you don't mean I could use English content appropriate for our system... I had an one-year awful experience at a French Law School of European Studies and that was frustrating enough.

Agreed. Cave ogres be it.

message 57: by Sparrow (last edited Jul 31, 2012 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sparrow Oh, I just meant that if there is not something similar in Romania, after you pass all of your tests and become a famous lawyer, you could go back and start an amazing study program for your bar exam! I am mostly joking. But, I'm sure you could do it if you wanted to.

I doubt ours is that much more demanding. I don't know. Our bar exams are evaluated state by state, and I don't know how yours is evaluated, but it looks like Oregon is a little bigger than Romania, but it has a crazy smaller population. I don't know if that makes a difference, or if we are competing against fewer or more people. There were about 500 people who sat for my bar exam, I think? And about 70% of us will pass. It kind of sounds like there is a lot of competition everywhere (except in the midwestern states in the US, where almost everyone passes). It was pretty terrible here, though, to be honest. There's just so much pressure. People vomit or start crying - one guy in Virginia had a seizure. It's a pretty terrible experience.

message 58: by Aura (new)

Aura Hahaha, I'm such a fool. Jokes sometimes have to kick me for me to notice them if I'm over-checking my spelling for the fifth time. But I swear to you I spot a joke in Romanian in nanoseconds, though!

I think it's the same percentage here of people who pass the bar exam. Frankly, I can't be sure as I've ever been interested only in becoming a judge. Of that exam I know the rate is pretty low, less than 10% I think.

I feel for those people. I'm familiar with exams phobia too. Fortunately, it's over for you now - be positive about it.

Sparrow haha, oh man, I am consistently impressed by your English. It is amazing! I think spotting a joke in another language is never expected, only a bonus.

Ohh, that would be so fun to be a judge! You will be great! That's so interesting that they have a separate test for being a judge. Here, it is the same test, and then judges get appointed by politically elected officials. There are also elections for judges after the appointment, and there are a lot of ethics rules about what they can and cannot do in the elections because judges aren't supposed to be politically biased. It seems so different to have a test for the judiciary. That is really interesting.

Yeah, I do feel positive in general, just about the test being done. If I failed, I won't be surprised because it was really, really hard, but if I passed, that will be nice. I'm just glad it's over.

message 60: by Aura (new)

Aura Thanks, I am rather insecure about my English as I only use it on GR.

I'm always doubtful when I think about the interference of the political in the judiciary even if I realise the complete separation is impossible (still Rousseau was boring enough on the subject). Yet it feels so unfair not having the chance of being a judge until your retirement, but when I come to think of the alliances and underhand affairs our judges occupy themselves with, I'm not that willing to praise our system anymore. The eight-year system makes more sense.

There's an exam for the National Institute for Magistrates, where you continue your studies and also work as a probationer in court. I believe magistrates in US include only judges, while we use the term to include prosecutors (district attorneys) as well. If you're sane enough after those two years of probation and exams the President of the state has to decree your being invested with power on behalf of the state, and that's all the political should have to do
with ordinary magistrates. Oh, and if you are a lawyer with at least a five year practice in the field you're exempted from attending the Institute, you become a judge as long as you pass the final exam. I would bore even myself trying to describe it, so excuse me for making it sound flat.

Sparrow Oh, no, your English is fantastic.

I think it's a constant struggle to keep the judiciary separate from politics, but I feel like it's a losing battle. I mean, everyone has ideologies, and ideologies tend to be political in nature, I think, which doesn't necessarily mean a judge will be biased if he or she acknowledges the ideologies and still values impartiality.

We recently had a major outrage about this. One of our Supreme Court Justices, Justice Scalia, is notoriously conservative and has been accused more than once of writing his opinions based on political alliances. In the recent Supreme Court decision that upheld the new act that will hopefully provide national health care, Justice Scalia, apparently (I haven't read it yet), wrote a scathing dissent in which he criticized the entire Obama administration and its agenda. Other conservative judges were really upset because it made the conservative part of the judiciary look really political and biased. I think the more liberal legal people were kind of like, We told you so. I'm excited to read the whole case, but not until I've calmed down a little bit about the bar.

message 62: by rivka (new)

rivka Sparrow wrote: "Oh, no, your English is fantastic."

Completely agree.

message 63: by Aura (last edited Aug 01, 2012 04:25AM) (new)

Aura Thanks and thanks! Now you've brought it upon yourselves, GR isn't likely to get rid of me any time soon!

This Scalia guy looks interesting, I'm sorry I'm not more familiar with the US constitutional affairs. I agree. As long as Supreme Court Justices are nominated or confirmed by the Parliament and the President of the state, the battle is lost before it's even started.

message 64: by rivka (new)

rivka Aura wrote: "GR isn't likely to get rid of me any time soon!"

Excellent!

I love when a plan comes together.

Sparrow Aura wrote: "As long as Supreme Court Justices are nominated or confirmed by the Parliament and the President of the state, the battle is lost before it's even started."

Yeah. At the same time, I doubt the US would change its system to one with a stricter testing system because there is a deep-seated resistance to the abstract idea of intellectual elitism. And, I guess I really think that involvement of politics in the judiciary is mostly bad when it is corrupt, and otherwise I think it's somewhat inevitable for people to have political ideals. But, I think corruption breeds bias and unjust outcomes. Anyway, ongoing struggle.

« previous 1 2 next »