Kerri's Reviews > See You at Harry's

See You at Harry's by Jo Knowles

Feb 09, 13

bookshelves: donalyn-and-teri-recs
Read in February, 2013

Very sweet book with a lot going on. I really liked that way that Fern turned into such a dynamic character. From a teacher's point of view, she could be a lesson on the differences between dynamic and static characters. Her father would be a great opposite to throw in.

The one thing that just didn't ring true in the book was the fact that the parents just let their 14 year old son come and go as he pleased. They never really tried to set any rules in place for their blossoming teenager. I didn't like the way he spoke to them and then they just let him go like they felt sorry for him. Such weak parents!

This weakness, I'm sure, was the set up for the main event in the book. Because of their weaknesses and the fact that they pretty much ignored their children and left them to raise themselves, there is a major tragedy for the family. Then, when the father finally tries to take over and actually be a dad, he does a terrible job of it - too little too late in my opinion. I have a hard time liking a book if I can't respect the characters. I had absolutely no respect for the mom or the dad in this book. Holden bugged me because he was such a whiny brat. Loved Fern and finally loved Sarah by the end. Ran and Cassie were a great contrast to the other weak characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read See You at Harry's.