Karen's Reviews > Seduced in the Dark

Seduced in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

Sep 25, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from September 21 to 25, 2012

I'm too exhausted to write a full review right now, but all I can say is I LOVE LOVE LOVED this book!!!! Extremely well done. It drew out all kinds of emotions from me, definitely a dark love story. 5 stars, no doubt!!!!! I just need so time to process my thoughts into any kind of decent review. My brain is fried!!!

Ok... to expand on my earlier review, I just want to say that this is a fantastic work of fiction. It is a very creative story which completes the Captive in the Dark series. The story was laid out a little differently than the first book, so I was a little surprised at first by the story being told in retrospect. However, I really, really liked the way the author set up the storyline.

Livvey and Caleb's story is incredibly compelling, and kept me on the verge of violence until the very end!!!! The sex is dark, it is frequent, and it is incinerating!!!! There were actually times that I felt that it was just too much. And that doesn't happen for me very often. But the introduction of their building love for each other made it even more addictive.

I found that the lack of Caleb's POV in the first half of the book, made it much more difficult for me to sympathize with his character. I even mentioned to my husband at some point about halfway through.... that if the author was able to convince me to like him again by the end of the story, I'd be very impressed. Well, she did more than that, she turned me completely around with him. What a surprise too with his story at the end.... I was BLOWN AWAY!!!

I also found Livvey a little more annoying in this book. Even though I liked her in both books, I felt that her tears were much too frequent and dramatized, and often even whiney!! After the abuse she sustained, I would have thought her more stoic and resolved with her fate after the amount of time that passed between book one and two and all that she had seen and witness at this point. But everyone is different and their responses to love and abuse are also different. So I cut her some slack... she was very young, and who could handle what she went through after all?

I loved the addition of Matthew Reed and Dr. Sloan to the story. I hope the author explores these characters again in another work. I was not quite satisfied with the way she left these characters hanging. I imagined all sorts of possible scenarios where these charters were headed in the book... and I was wrong on all of them!

All in all, I was very impressed with this series!! I find C J Roberts to be an extremely compelling storyteller, and hope to see more books from her soon. I'm giving this book and the series 5 STARS!!!! Great work!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduced in the Dark.

Quotes Karen Liked

C.J. Roberts
Mine.
The word was a declaration. It rocked him to his very foundation. It was a truth he’d kept hidden for far too long. Caleb didn’t know anything about love, or loving anyone, but he knew… Livvie was his.”
C.J. Roberts, Seduced in the Dark

09/22/2012
11.0% ""I know what I am," he said calmly. "I've always known." ..."It's you who thinks otherwise," Caleb said." 4 comments
21.0% "Mmmmm Matthew Reed, I'm liking this guy." 2 comments
09/23/2012
21.0% "Caleb in the shower!!!!! That scene may be burned in my mind permanently!!!!"
09/23/2012
35.0% ""He's a monster," she sobbed "I know he is. I know, and...it just doesn't matter to me anymore.""
09/23/2012
38.0% "Agent Reed!! You're a bad bad boy!!!"
09/24/2012
67.0% "This one is so much harder to take, without Caleb's POV. My heart is broken."
09/24/2012
67.0% "Oh wait... hold on... here is Caleb? Where did his POV come from all of the sudden? Stand by ..."
68.0% "Mine! Mine! Mine! YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!" 12 comments
70.0% "OK... I'm freaking sobbing now!!!!!" 3 comments
09/24/2012
74.0% "OK, now that's just GROSSSSSSssssssSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!"
84.0% "FFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!! I think I'm going to pass out!" 2 comments
88.0% "I think my heart may explode in my chest." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ATran ❤❤❤❤ Oh, he is bad ...so bad that C.J. Is doing a spinoff ! Enjoy Caleb and Livvie . The best emotional ride of my life, beautiful :)

Karen Stacey ** lovin' the smutastic *** wrote: "Karen, I have this downloaded and have not started, but reading this review -- I am moving this to the top of the TO READ pile:)"

You will not be disappointed!!!!

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Woohoo!!! So glad you loved it Karen. And you're right, it's definitely the kind of book that blows you away!

And by the way - apparently the author is writing a book about Reed. Very excited for that!

Karen SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

message 5: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Does this have a hea? Or is the series dark all the way?

Karen Natalie wrote: "Does this have a hea? Or is the series dark all the way?"

message 7: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Karen wrote: "I cannot reveal that, but the fact that I loved the story should give you an idea!!!"

Nice response :)

message 8: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie I guess i just have to trust you...:) great review btw!

Karen Thanks.... but I don't think it comes close to portraying the emotion I felt while reading the story. I should have written it the minute I finished, but I stayed up too late reading... and was just wiped out!!!

message 10: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie That good huh? I think i have to read them soon :)

Karen OHHH YEESSSSSS!!!! THAT GOOD!!!!!!

message 12: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Natalie, read these two books... you will not be disappointed. Well, until you reach the last page, because youll be sad its the end of the book, lol

Karen Sara wrote: "Natalie, read these two books... you will not be disappointed. Well, until you reach the last page, because youll be sad its the end of the book, lol"

Great response!

message 14: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Thanks guys. Now i am looking forward to start, buut first i'm gonna read On Dublin street or The Might storm, can't decide. What do you think?

message 15: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Umm you can't go wrong with either of those!!

message 16: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Read the mighty storm first ;)

message 17: by Natalie (last edited Sep 25, 2012 04:18PM) (new) - added it

Natalie Yeah, maybe. I just don't think i am in the rockstar 'mood ' right now. I'll see on friday...

message 18: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Oh no. That book is soooo good. On Dublin street def does not disappoint either.

message 19: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ I'll second that!!! The Mighty Storm and On Dublin Street were both fave reads of mine for the year!! So much hotness!!!

Karen I love both those books, you can't go wrong either way!!! Prepare yourself for the FUCKhot Scot!!!

message 21: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Well said!

message 22: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Karen wrote: "I love both those books, you can't go wrong either way!!! Prepare yourself for the FUCKhot Scot!!!"

Oh yeah!!! Thinking about him still makes me shiver - in a good way ;)

Karen AJ wrote: "Karen wrote: "I love both those books, you can't go wrong either way!!! Prepare yourself for the FUCKhot Scot!!!"

Oh yeah!!! Thinking about him still makes me shiver - in a good way ;)"

Swwoonnning!!!

message 24: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie In what book is Scot?

Karen Natalie wrote: "In what book is Scot?"

On Dublin Street!!!! And his name is Braden!!!

message 26: by AJ (last edited Sep 26, 2012 04:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Woohoo!!!! God, I miss the Scot!

God, I hope my next book has another man like that! ;)

Stephanie i absolutely loved these books. it was a great story with everything i hoped for. thanks karen for all the fab recommendations.

Nikki Beautiful review, Karen! Agreed that lack if Caleb's POV did make it harder to sympathize...how I went from hating him to absolutely loving him is beyond me!! CJ Roberts is a genius!