Julie's Reviews > Broken Harbor

Broken Harbor by Tana French

Jul 27, 2012

bookshelves: favorites

From the plethora of crime-related shows on TV, many people have gotten the misguided notion that being a detective (especially a murder detective) would be a glamourous and exciting job. Tana French's work helps us to understand the toll this profession could really take on even the most impervious and disciplined amongst us. In her latest work, she boldly moves a pompous and unpleasant supporting character from her previous books (Detective Michael "Scorcher" Kennedy) front and center. It's a testament to her gift for language and psychological insight that readers not only end up liking Scorcher, but actually end up rooting for him well before the narrative draws to a close. I hope that Detective Richie Curran is given the in-depth character treatment next time around. Scorcher may have thought he had him all figured out at the end of the book, but I feel like there's much to be explored. Richie's a bit of a cypher--we never really know what he's thinking, nor what has shaped his thoughts. At any rate, I can't wait until French's fifth book!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbor.