Ali's Reviews > Renaissance

Renaissance by Zannie Adams

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: did-not-enjoy
Read from July 27 to 29, 2012

This book has made me question my ability to judge new authors. I read two of her shorter novels in one day and was hooked.

When I started this book and read that Cali was 18, I was a little put off. Thankfully the story skips to “20 years later” which still was a little off alarming, But I told myself that I was being an ageist and that I’d be grateful for older H/H stories in a few years anyway. HOWEVER, it was super annoying when every other line was some comment about how mature she was at 38, and then the next line she was she sulking around barefoot "like a teenager" because the “jerk “ didn’t recognize her. Somehow she managed to mention her current age and then something she smelled, felt, touched or ate, when she was a teenager in every single chapter that I read. I wasn’t sure what feeling I, as the reader was supposed to get from this other then my own sense of impending panic of my late 30’s and it was very distracting from the story.

The constant back and forth was a huge theme in the book. (view spoiler)

At one point I got so irritated with the book that I thought I should just stop reading it. Partly because I genuinely loved Hold and Complicated and I didn’t want this book to ruin my enjoyment of the author or the other two books and partly because I was getting so irritated with the book that I was actually beginning to HATE the heroine.

I tried to read more, but I just had not interest in it at all. I skimmed through the rest and now that it’s done, I feel a little turned off romance. Maybe it’s time for a break.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renaissance.

03/03 marked as: did-not-enjoy