Amy Lignor's Reviews > Miss Me When I'm Gone

Miss Me When I'm Gone by Emily Arsenault

Jul 27, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2012

This is a novel that readers must certainly pay attention to as the drama unfolds.

Gretchen Waters is the lady that this particular story wraps around; a young author whose book about female country singers, Tammyland, has been widely appreciated. One day, after a book event has come to a close, Gretchen is found dead at the bottom of a set of stairs. What’s first considered a tragic accident is soon rethought by the police when they find Gretchen’s purse missing from the scene.

At the time of her demise, Gretchen was actually in the process of writing yet another book about male singers; although this particular book had a much deeper meaning. In fact, it looked into a murder that happened a long time ago within her family.

When she is killed, Gretchen’s best friend from college, Jamie, is asked by Gretchen’s mother to look into the new book she was working on, as well as become the literary executor of Gretchen’s estate. However, when Jamie takes on the job, she soon finds out about the mission Gretchen was on to find her real father and uncover clues about a truly hideous crime.

Jamie jumps into the investigation with both feet, even though she is very pregnant (about seven months along), and has a husband who is beyond upset and objects to all the trips she’s taking.
When the mystery is finally solved and the book concludes with a very interesting closing chapter, the reader may just walk away with a feeling of distaste for the character of Jamie. Yes…this is a plotline that is confusing. The author does utilize different typefaces in order to show the writing of Gretchen’s new book with chapters that are titled with songs from her first novel. Whereas the numbered chapters deal with Jamie’s investigation and her point of view regarding the death. But, at times, most readers will find themselves a bit lost in the shuffle.

Reviewed by Amy Lignor, author of “Tallent & Lowery - 13” for Suspense Magazine

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Me When I'm Gone.

05/04/2016 marked as: read

switterbug (Betsey) I was considering this one, but think I will skip it.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Lignor Sorry...It was well-written it just left a sour taste for me.