amy's Reviews > The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

Jul 27, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: kids-fiction

This book begins: "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it. His parents called him Eustace Clarence and masters called him Scrubb. I can't tell you how his friends spoke to him, for he had none. He didn't call his Father and Mother "Father" and "Mother," but Harold and Alberta. They were very up-to-date and advanced people. They were vegetarians, non-smokers and teetotalers and wore a special kind of underclothes. In their house there was very little furniture and very few clothes on beds and the windows were always open."

A third of the book is dedicated to making sure the reader is 100% clear that Eustace Clarence Scrubb is a spoiled brat, likely due to having been brought up by hippies who keep the windows open.

I continued reading the book anyway, because it's such a well-loved classic... just like I continued reading the other books in the series, all the while trying to ignore nagging feelings of sexism and racism.

FYI: I really WANTED to like this book.

As with the other Narnia books, I enjoyed the fantasy story. This one ended up being a version -- of sorts -- of the Odyssey.

Two more books to go...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.