Jessie's Reviews > Revealing Eden

Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt

Jul 27, 12

Read in July, 2012

" In a post-apocalyptic world, everyone must live underground to protect themselves from the extreme heat on Earth. People with white skin, called Pearls, are the most susceptible to die from The Heat, and most have already perished. ... In the story, because Caucasians have less melanin in their skin to protect them from the sun’s burning rays, they are branded as inferior Pearls. Dark-skinned people, or Coals, have more resistance to the Heat, and therefore, now rule society ... their stunningly dark skin that carries the greatest amount of melanin…makes them the strongest, most powerful race alive "

Sorry, bro, melanin doesn't work like that. Melanin =/= sunscreen. There isn't that big of a gap of melanin levels between light-skinned people and dark-skinned people. Even disregarding the racial factor (I'm sure there are other people better suited to argue that angle), the entire premise is unlikely and not properly explained. The amount of melanin your skin only affects your original color - however, the more active your melanin, the easier you tan in the sun. How well you tan is not related to the natural coloring of your skin. I am naturally pale, being Chinese, but I don't burn; during the summer, I get dark enough to be mistaken as, say, Filipino. Being naturally dark-skinned would only afford you a minuscule advantage, as there is a known correlation between burning/tanning and the natural lightness of your skin, and if the sun was bad enough to kill people if left out unprotected, both would be affected.

There's also another point - how long did this apocalyptic heating-of-earth take? Supposing the above didn't apply, and blacks are immune (maybe they stole the world's supply of sunscreen and formed a cult, only distributing it to people deemed dark enough), it still doesn't make much sense. Assuming it takes place as a gradual change, then, if anything, then the fair-skinned would have time to seize upon the fact that they are at a disadvantage. If anything, there would be mass riots against the dark-skinned races by the lighter folk, and they'd probably have enough time to come up with theories on how this entire thing was a conspiracy against them, and wipe out a fair amount of the naturally invulnerable.

The only way that light-skinned people would be put at such a disadvantage would be if it happened almost instantaneously, which is pretty much impossible, unless the earth somehow shifts a few million miles closer to the sun overnight. Good god, it takes a special kind of author to write a potentially good, insightful novel about racial dynamics as another bid for white supremacy.

I wish authors would put more thought into their fictional worlds which, even "fictional", have to at least make sense, and fully explain them, instead of just writing another cheap publicity stunt thriller-romance advertised as the "next hunger games" - no, thank you. There is only a certain amount of disbelief readers are willing to suspend without putting the book down and thinking, "What the fuck did I just read?"

(I didn't even like the Hunger Games all that much.)
51 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revealing Eden.