DynamicUno Thomas's Reviews > Mortal Fire

Mortal Fire by C.F. Dunn

Jul 27, 2012

Read from July 27 to September 16, 2012

Knowing that C.F. Dunn is "across the pond," I figured British spelling and vocabulary would be used throughout the book. I was not disappointed. For those of you wondering if it detracts from the story, please know that it does not. In fact, as Emma is from the UK, it lends an air of authenticity to the story.

When we come across a traffic accident with a fatality within the first few pages, I wasn't sure what to expect. After all, I was just being introduced to the characters and I didn't really know their motives yet. Reading on, I found myself being sucked into the story as Emma, being a stranger in a strange land, found her way amongst the academia and was introduced to new friends and some unsavory characters on staff.

I enjoyed getting to know her colleagues and students (from Emma's perspective) and enjoyed the conversations about Emma concentration of history and how it has shaped her beliefs. I even enjoyed the anticipation of a blossoming relationship that held immense mystery. But as a librarian, I doubly enjoyed Emma's trips into the land of literature to find the journal she so intensely wanted to understand. I even understood her actions with the journal, but was disappointed that she was stopped so violently from learning its secrets.

The characters are complex and multi-faceted. Just as I thought I understood what they were thinking, something would crop up and completely change the direction of my own thinking. (Isn't this true of us as living humans as well?) I'm completely engrossed in the story and want to know what happens next. No, I need to know what happens. Does Emma discover the mysteries surrounding her recent relationship? How will she react to the truth that she so desperately wants to uncover? And what will the secrets in the journal reveal about her own and others' pasts?

If you enjoy mystery with a hint of romance, you will love this book! Make sure you carve out a chunk of time because you will not want to put it down. It's THAT engrossing. I just hope that book #2, Death Be Not Proud, comes out soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortal Fire.