Emily Watkinson's Reviews > Black Heart Blue

Black Heart Blue by Louisa Reid

Aug 03, 12

Read from July 27 to August 03, 2012

I started reading this book because a friend of mine said that you would feel for the characters. I hadn't read the back of the book at all. I trusted her motive and read this book and was I glad I did.
At first, I didn't think it would be that great of a book but as the pages went on, it became harder to put down. I wanted to find out more about the characters. Throughout the book I definitely felt sorry for Rebecca as well as the mother. They were under the thumb of the father the entire book.
Throughout the second half of the book, I was glad that Rebecca found a life for herself rather than being trapped up in that house like Hephzibah did. The friendship of rebecca and Danny was another lovely thing to read. You definitely like Rebecca when you read her parts. Another friendship that was a true surprise was Craig and Rebecca. I loved how this friendship was written and also the lengths he would go to to make sure she was protected. This was a lovely addiction to the story.
Hephzibah's story was really sad. You start off at the beginning of the book thinking that the father killed her. It was lovely to see her point of view and her side of her life but it was really heart moving as well.
Overall, I really enjoyed seeing the different roles that all the characters played and it definitely opened my eyes to lots of different things such as parents who are ashamed by their children when the children have a disease. That was one of the most sad things about it. But you do understand nearer the end of the book why the father is the way he is with them. Final point: definitely would give it a read and I would read it again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart Blue.

07/27/2012 page 20
07/27/2012 page 120
44.0% "You really do feel for the character, Rebecca and how her father treats her. It's really upsetting but to think that people go through this regularly in their life is really sad."
show 2 hidden updates…