Erika Sajdak's Reviews > Ten Girls to Watch

Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway

Jul 27, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 27 to 28, 2012

A big thank you to Atria Books for sending me a copy of this book!

As with many of the books I receive from my publishers’ reading clubs, I was skeptical when I received what appeared to be a fluff piece written by a magazine writer about an article she once wrote and I expected to be able to breeze (aka skim) through it in an hour or two. However, I am now more than grateful for the opportunity to walk this road of transformation with Charity Shumway.

Charity has developed (or perhaps was born with) a skilled approach to emotion. From the almost adolescent jealousies and romantic ups and downs of college life to acceptance of life as it is, she stepped through the required gates to grow with her story. This is a journey of transformation, led by the stories of 500 women who once won a contest.

The high points were revisiting the heartbreak and heart-wrenching jealousy of being the ex-girlfriend befriended by the new, opening your heart to the dramatic lives of others, and finally overcoming the negative self-talk that can hold us back from achieving our dreams.
I could only recommend that the novel become more a piece of fiction than a journalistic endeavor- this seems to be balanced between the two in an awkward place where all the names are changed, but loose ends remain hanging at the end of the piece. I could look at the hanging loose pieces of relationships and sub-stories as tantalizing odes to the never-ending drama of life, but I would much prefer a closing to the stories of Elliot, Robert, and the under-represented mentor.

I’m looking forward to the next foray into fiction for Charity Shumway, and the next Atria release!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Girls to Watch.