Patrice Hoffman's Reviews > The Exceptions

The Exceptions by David Cristofano

Aug 30, 12

Read from August 29 to 30, 2012

*Won through Goodreads giveaway*

"Melody would give anything to be who she was meant to be, and I would give anything to be anyone but who I was meant to be."- One of the many quotes from this book that had me hooked. To say I liked this book is an understatement. It's well written, thought provoking, and superbly thrilling. I could not put this book down once I began.

Jonathan Bovaro is ordered to tie up all loose ends and one of those loose ends is Melody Grace McCartney. Before long, Jonathan finds his self protecting Melody and falling in love with her in the process. If anyone has read The Girl She Used to Be, they are aware of most of this plot from Melody's point of view. I have not had the pleasure of reading that book (the postal service has yet to send me my copy I ordered from Amazon weeks ago) but it's reviewed as having many identical plot points.

The author does a great job at painting the portrait of a flawed hero who doesn't even want to be considered a hero. It's always there in the back of the readers mind, as well as the narrator, that this guy has seen and done bad things. His greatest challenge is breaking free of the Mob lifestyle so he can be who he's really meant to be and not who his family would like him to be.

The book is sappy at times but it generally is a romance novel with many plot twists and thrilling occurances. Characters and settings are well developed. I could picture every event and moment as the narrator describes them. The view from inside the mob was also very interesting and insightful. There's even enough violence in this book to keep an avid suspense/thriller reader, like my self, interested. I look forward to reading more books by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exceptions.

08/29/2012 page 160
33.0% "Pretty good so far."
show 2 hidden updates…