Booklover, Indianapolis's Reviews > Sweet Dreams

Sweet Dreams by Kristen Ashley

F 50x66
(July) 4.5* Ok, so I finally finished - took me all day, but I did it - and I am surprised to say I am really glad I stuck with it. I drank the KA Kool-Aid! How to rate this one was tough for me - yes, the book was in desperate need of editing - NO book needs to be that long - this was like 3 books in one (although Amazon says it's only 562 pages - on my ereader it was 883!)! The repetitive use of words and phrases drove me nuts (I swear I'll pay someone to tell me how many words this book was - and how many times she used a version of the word Whisper - I was truly worried about Lauren's vocal chords - I swear about 80% of her dialogue was whispered, and about 40% of everyone elses was too!). Lauren reminded me a bit of a Julie Garwood Medieval heroine - she shows up, a stranger who does not fit in, and by the end of the book everyone loves her, she's touched/changed so many, many lives! I'm sorry, but seriously - a 10 year old using the phrase MILF? Really - maybe some 10 year old boys are truly interested in sex, but to meet your dad's gf and declare you wanna F her (which is essentially what the phrase means)? Saying she's hot, ok, fine - inappropriate but managable. There were times that Lauren came across as a real bubble head, and much of the time I had to keep reminding myself she was 42, not 27 or even 32! The fact that she just picked up at her age and took off and decided to become a waitress/biker babe just didn't fit with her age. Her complete falling apart at her father's heart attack - again, didn't compute to me. Tate was a true over-the-top Neanderthal, but I liked him, and much of the supporting cast. I kept looking, amazed to see see how much I had left to go - but I wanted to keep reading, I enjoyed a lot of it - and that fact alone (plus the fact that towards the end, I was so into these people I was actually a bit sad when I ralized I only had 100 pages to go), bumped this to a 4.5!

So now...what's next? Do I continue w/the CO Mtn series (would like to read Wood's book - does he have one?) or do I try something else?
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Dreams.

07/27/2012
10.0% "OK, giving this much raved-about author her first shot. So far the story is LOOOOOONG -I mean this just is dragging - ridiculously long and poorly written sentences, ramblings, and a screaming need for good editing. But...I will perservere and see what all the fuss is about."
07/28/2012
33.0% "I feel like I've been reading this forever - and I'm not even half way through! I like me some caveman-Alpha heros, but Tate - can you say over-the-top? Are all KA books like this - uber long and uber Alpha?"
07/28/2012
73.0% "Woo Hoo - home stretch! I am exhausted by this book!"

message 1: by MelissaB (last edited Jul 31, 2012 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Booklover - yeah you liked it! I was worried you might not from your comments. I recommend continuing with this series because Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain, #3) by Kristen Ashley was really good and I am enjoying the next book Breathe (Colorado Mountain, #4) by Kristen Ashley

I also liked the Dream Man series, the first book Mystery Man was not as good of a read because the heroine is annoying and slutty but I liked the next three (Wild Man, Law Man, Motorcycle Man) - especially Motorcycle Man which was really good.

I am drinking the Kool Aid too! I just think there is something unique and special about her books and how much I am drawn into the characters and stories.

ETA - Wood does not have his own story but we are told he is back with his ex either at the end of Sweet Dreams or in Lady Luck.

message 2: by MelissaB (last edited Jul 31, 2012 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Oh yeah, totally agree she acted way too young for her age! Faye, the heroine in Breathe, whispers all the time too and it drives me batty.

Another KAism - the heroine saying "This is true"

Booklover, Indianapolis I am realy surprised that we see Wood making out w/his ex wife - but there is no story to see how they get back together? Oh well. Thanks for the suggestions - whisper or not, I will continue! I have a few others -The Gamble and Lady Luck and also 1-3 (not sure if there are more) of her Fantasyland books. Rock Chick doesn't interest me but the "Man" books - hmmm, I suppose I could try those!

MelissaB I haven't read The Gamble yet, I will go back and read it after Breathe, it's not as connected as the others from what I understand.

I haven't read the Fantasyland books yet but I plan on reading Golden Dynasty.

Hope you like Lady Luck when you get to it!