Jen's Reviews > The Westing Game

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

1719442
Nov 13, 09

bookshelves: sisters-book-club, col-mustard-in-the-parlor, classics, children-s, bc-before-college
Recommended for: elementary girls with long hair
Read in October, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 3,4?

I think I first read The Westing Game in third or fourth grade. I checked it out of a public school library in Missouri. I loved it, returned it, and checked it again a few months later on another weekly library visit. Two things: 1. Why should children only go to the library once a week? My education would have been brighter and fuller had I just stayed in the library. Other kids could have had more time with the restroom pass, but instead I hoarded that thing and sat on the white raised seat reading away. I'm sure my teacher must've been concerned over my restroom needs/habits. 2.I loved Turtle, the girl with the braids that beg to be pulled. I braided my hair like Turtle's and liked whirling around and using them as weapons against boys coming in for the kisschase win. Which was a good development because a couple of years earlier I bit Rashad Ware when he lumbered towards me for a smooch. (I told my parents that I didn't bite him; just was running with my mouth open and happened to want to close it when his arm showed up)

Back to the book. Still, years later, in love with Turtle, only the mother in me now has room to love Flora Baumbach, hair braider, as well. And Mrs. stickyfingers Hoo, my new favorite. So, still in love with the book. The whizzbang puzzle mystery abides, only the clues are not as mysterious and I did wish that purple waves meant something really, really sinister and twisted. But that's just my maturity showing. So great to be grown up.
This was a sister book club pick. My youngest sister had never read it; apparently, an epic fail in my big sister job on that one. But, it's good to see that I did well enough a job that she knew to find it herself and suggest it for book club. I've helped raise a responsible adult. Even if she liked Crow, the woman in black.
My middle sister took a long time, too long of a time, to read this book. But she finished, liked it, and all is well.
This would be a great family read aloud book. But, to stop my eldest from reading ahead I would have to hide it really well. Maybe even have clues. And a wax dummy dead body! Long live the Westing Game.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Westing Game.

10/07/2009 page 4
2.2% "I am so behind on my reading right now- Job, get thee behind me. Book, come hither."
10/12/2009 page 57
31.32% "I recall now why I hear "I am your singing telegram (Boom!)" in my head while reading this book" 1 comment
10/18/2009 page 105
57.69% "I still love this book."
10/18/2009 page 216
100% "Done. Still loved it although the ending was rapid fire rat-a-tat."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Five Stars and no review.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen The five stars were from before college, actually grade school memories of reading this book. I may have to re-grade it.

Jackie "the Librarian" It's a weird and twisty book, well worth five stars for originality.
In my opinion. :)

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Well, the book was dedicated to moi

"For Jenny, who asked for a puzzle-mystery"

I might have loved it because I thought she was really thinking only of me- when you're young everyone else is just a prop on the stage of your life. I was the only jenny back then who mattered, I'm sure.

karen still.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I want to reread this one sometime soon, too.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben Big family, eh?

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I just have two sisters. But their multiple personalities are a bit much.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle ***Spoiler Alert***

Jen, does Turtle have to get her hair cut because it gets burned? When I was a kid I remember loving a book with a girl named Turtle in it, and I'm pretty sure that's what happened to her.

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen There are bombs and fires but I remember Turtle going with Flora Baumbach to get her hair cut. The bomb goes off on her older sister, Angela. Jackie the Librarian probably has better recall about this.

karen i think her hair got burned by a firework??

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen From the last one? Because (okay now I am really spoiling things?) it didn't get her at the shower for Angela. It got Angela then.

message 13: by Jen (last edited May 09, 2011 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Those who haven't read the Westing Game...multiple mishaps and mild peril within- thrilling but safe.
Like a log flume ride at a permanent amusement park.

karen yeah i dont actually remember. let me let it percolate in the brain.

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I could go check but that would mean going upstairs. I believe in yodaspeak this might be "your ass lazy is" and he would be correct tonight. Dishes, laundry, little toy cars on the rug, all this is calling for me. But still, I resist.

Jackie "the Librarian" I would have to check, too, about Turtle's hair, but I remember her enjoying the feel of the short hair cut.

message 17: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Yes! Five inches of Turtle's hair was badly singed. Later, she goes with Baba to get her hair cut and Mrs. Baumbach likes the way it looks but Turtle doesn't. She wanted to look mean, and now she doesn't.

Finally checked.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I first learned about Tourette's syndrome through this book. I think around the same time I also (re)learned about it through the film What About Bob?

message 19: by Kevin (new) - rated it 1 star

Kevin My daughter was so excited about reading this book she went to our local library to get a copy for me so I can read it with her and we can discuss it! We did the same thing with the Harry Potter & Percy Jackson books!!! It doesn't get any better than this!!!

message 20: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Enjoy!

Also, I don't know how old your daughter is, but there is a bookclub for parents and kids on NPR- the backseat book club. Here's the link: http://www.npr.org/2011/10/28/1418048...

My kids loved listening to Neil Gaiman talk about The Graveyard Book last month on NPR and we're looking forward to this month's program as well.