Leah's Reviews > House of Sand and Fog

House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III

Aug 08, 07

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2007

This starts off as a simple enough story about an Iranian immgrant struggling to make good in American, but Behrani's world quickly becomes complicated when he purchases a home at a county tax auction. Interestingly told from three perspectives: Behrani's, Kathy's (the original homeowner) and a random narrator who gives us the whereabouts of Kathy's cop boyfriend Les, House of Sand and Fog is quick moving (as the book jacket suggests), but I often felt while reading that the movie would be a better way to get through this story.

For Kathy, her father's home is only thing keeping her from falling off the wagon after the departure of her husband. When Lester, one of the cops who comes to kick her out of her house shows a little more than sympathy, Kathy quick take up with him and all three parties become far more entagled in each other's lives than they would ever believe.

The book is well set up and well paced, but I wish it had been more balanced in its depiction of the central characters. All throughout the book I felt much more sympathy for the Behrani's than i ever did for Kathy, who comes off as lazy and self-destructive, who herself is sympathetic next to Les, who, among other things, cheats on his wife, plants evidence, and gives booze to a known alcoholic. The ending, though tense, was largely unsurprising. A quick summer read, that left me unchanged after reading it.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Sand and Fog.