Erin's Reviews > On Fire: A Teen Wolf Novel

On Fire by Nancy Holder

Aug 08, 12

Read on August 08, 2012

I'm actually surprised at the amount of praise for this book. In my opinion, it is really just a marketing scheme and monetizing on the popularity of Teen Wolf. Do. Not. Buy. This. Book. Save your money and go read some free fan fiction, because it is going to be better than this.

I love Teen Wolf. Teen Wolf is my favorite show, actually. The show itself is very good at overcoming the reputation as a bad supernatural teen drama/comedy aired on MTV. If the show was like this book, I would have never watched past the first few episodes. This book is what everyone expects Teen Wolf to be, really bad.

Holder doesn't understand the Teen Wolf characters. She turns Lydia into an idiot, when that isn't the case at all. Yes, at the end she shows how smart she is. The rest of the book, though? She's a bumbling idiot and that is not Lydia at all. The characterization is awful and very choppy. The author is useless at keeping the characters in character.

The plot is well, to put it simply, dumb. Jackson gets kidnapped and Lydia sends Scott and Allison to look for him. Scott and Allison make out a lot for no reason, and there was a paragraph dedicated to Allison feeding Scott a fry. The attempts at going further into the Werewolf mythology/Werewolf verse were feeble and a bit laughable.

There is a lot lengthy, unnecessary details on appearances and people licking their lips. At one point the Holder felt the need to describe Coach Finstock's hair as "wild and free." Thank you for that very unnecessary detail that only managed to annoy me and get Lady Gaga's "Hair" stuck in my head.

The dialogue is not written well. It sincerely lacks the sharp quickness that show is very good at. The author isn't very funny either, which makes all of Stiles lines very cringe worthy.

The only thing that made this book worth reading was the Derek, Laura and Kate flashbacks. But at the same time, even those was filled with awkward language and was missing everything that makes the show good.

Okay, that may be a bit harsh, but I'm a bit frustrated that things like this get published and people get paid for it when there are amazing writers out there that are producing way better fan fiction and aren't getting paid for it, hile those behind this badly written book are being paid for their lame attempt at fan fiction. Or rather, fiction based on Teen Wolf because it is clearly not written by a fan, just someone who wants to make a few bucks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Fire.

08/08/2012 page 123
48.0% "published fan fiction. a riot, really"
show 1 hidden update…