Philip's Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: sword-laser
Read from July 29 to September 06, 2012

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Keeble Thought you'd enjoy it! Life of Pi next?

Philip No, I think I might hold off Life of Pi until I've seen the film so that I can experience it at the cinema without pre-conceptions (read: bawl my eyes out in a pathetic manner.) I think I may have accidentally spoilered myself a little with the trailer though, that's why I paniced and decided to hold on. But I thought I might benefit from having read this before going to see the film.

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen Keeble Hmm, I would still recommend reading Life of Pi before the film... can't say too much because of spoilers, but I can't see how the film is going to capture a certain brilliant moment in the book. I also think it's going to lose a lot of the wry humour of the book; film looks like it's going for Big Beautiful Spectacle, while the book is very much an intimate character study of one boy/man.

In short: Read it! *grin*

Philip Yes, but that is why I don't want to read it first. I'm hoping to see the film and get all the big beautiful ooh! ahh! moments.

Then read the book and get all of the 'other' ooh! ahh! and of course! moments.

I'm worried if I read the book first I'll end up grumping over the bits that will inevitably get dropped and it'll stop me enjoying the film for what it is.

I'll probably fold, especially as it comes out the day go on holiday, so I won't be able to see it until it's been out for three weeks. It's entirely possible (although unlikely) that I may have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

I need to make sure I've read First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers before the middle of November though. And maybe one or two more books on the Vietnam/Cambodia axis.