Chy's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

1917722
Aug 03, 2012

Read from July 27 to August 03, 2012

One thing I forgot to mention in the first book, that extends to this one. Martin does that thing I hate, where he starts a "chapter" at one point, then backtracks over events that led to that starting point. It's confusing sometimes, but for the most part, I find myself forgiving it more than in other places.

Sometimes--and don't tell anyone--I actually enjoy it. Just because of the way he plays it.

I do find myself wishing one particular POV character would freakin' die, though. I mean, sure, I can see people wanting this guy to die. But it's more than that, for me; for me, I'm just tired of his POV.

And I may have to break my resolution to never read a book Mike's reading at the same time he's reading it. Because I need to see what Jon and Arya and Tyrion and Bran get into next. I mean, the story's cool and all, but I need to be in the heads of those four.

As a bit of a tangent, a small (really) weird part of me feels like, when I read Jon's POV, I'm almost getting to read that Jocelyn-POV story of before-Phaedra I always fantasized Jacqueline Carey might right someday. {laughs} Just because of the characterization and my own perceptions, mind you. That's what it's a small and (really) weird part of me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.

07/27/2012 "I...have mentioned how I hate prologues, yes? Perfect example, here. {deep breath} Now to start the actual book, damn you.

Mike recoiled in horror when I said I never read the prologue of the first book. He said, "You have to, to know why that one dude ran."

No, dammit, it was obvious why he ran, in the actual BOOK. Where it was more interesting. (Okay, fine, and I watched the HBO series.)"
07/27/2012 page 30
4.0% "Oops. Forgot to put the page number on that last one. Not that it matters. This says 761 pgs, my copy has 969, not counting the appedices. I'm just too lazy to change editions." 1 comment
07/31/2012 page 325
43.0% "I suffer from my husband's weird hours currently, but making progress still.

I love that all those plot things I went on about "knowing" before are shown to be less certain here, and I've had it shown that there's plenty I don't know. Well played, Martin, well played."

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-5 of 5) </span> <span class="smallText">(5 new)</span>

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila That thing you hate, the "starts a chapter at one point, then backtracks" thing - *Catch 22* is structured that way too, if I recall correctly. It bugged me too, but, like you said, it's forgiveable. Mostly.

message 2: by Chy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chy Ooh, and that one's on my Bucket List. Glad I'm learning to forgive it before I get to that one.

And ooh, lookit my typo. That story Carey might "right" someday.

You know what? It's a Freudian typo, I think. I'm keeping it.

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Yeah. Own that typo.

Cathy Douglas As I remember, he did it in this book to the point that many chapters basically took place at their own end. All flashback, or maybe dull-halfdead-battery-gleam-back, where all that actually happens in the chapter is somebody walks a couple miles deep in thought. If you can get away with it, you can write a "lull" chapter in which whole armies go down, the dead come to claim the living, young brides die, and thriving kingdoms are lost. Neat trick, right? And with the book a best seller, nobody's even going to give him a ticket!

message 5: by Chy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chy And with the book a best seller, nobody's even going to give him a ticket!

Ain't that the shit of it, with these bestsellers?