Raelynn's Reviews > The Princess Diaries

The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: spring-summer-reading-list-2012
Read in June, 2012

**This review was originally posted at life-ducks.blogspot.com**

Surely, we've all seen the two Disney Princess Diaries movies starring Anne Hathaway, yes? I love these movies, and pretty much anything starring Anne Hathaway, so at my best friend's insisting, I decided to read the first book in the series by Meg Cabot. Man, was I in for a surprise? My best friend had told me that the movies and books were different, but I hadn't foreseen another Ella Enchanted (yes, another Anne Hathaway movie) style adaption, that is to say that the books and movies happen to have the same name and a few similarities.
As much as I love the movies, I also loved this book.

As always, I'll begin with a kind of "who-would-love-this" section. This book is really, obviously, aimed for the teenage, female population, as most of Meg Cabot's YA books are. Honestly, I think anyone who likes the books about the life of off-beat girls would enjoy this one. I would, personally, classify this as a YA Chick-Lit book. Despite the fact that I mostly dislike Chick-Lit, I love YA and really enjoyed this book. I really like the character of Tina (removed from the movie) and I hope to see much more of her throughout the rest of the series. I also really liked Grandmere, even though she's kinda horrible. One character I really dislike, not as a character but as a person, is Lily. I kind of like that the character exists, but I dislike her as a person.

If you didn't already know this, Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries is a book about a young girl named Mia. It is her diary as she goes through her life of mediocrity. She goes to a private school in New York (Not San Francisco), has a cat names Louis, a best friend named Lily, and a mom who is dating her teacher. She also has a dad who is a diplomat in a small principality called Genovia. Here's the kicker, not too far into the book Mia's dad finds out that he will have no more children and he now has to tell Mia she will inherit the throne of Genova, because by diplomat he meant Prince. The rest of the book follows Mia's understanding and experiences as she discovers her heritage, the world discovers her secret, friends betray her, and her Grandmere tortures her with "Princess Lessons."

As I said before, I really enjoyed this book. I liked coming into it having seen the movie and knowing the story, then having everything I thought I knew turned on its head. I like Mia's outlook on things and her writing is certainly, I think, true to a 15 year old's journal. I really enjoyed reading it and thinking back to being 15, thought I'm not a princess, and remembering the horrors of being 15 and imaging placing being a princess on top of that! I also really liked how she reacted to the news in the book verses in the movie. It's hard to explain without spoiling the differences, but if you've read it, you know what I'm talking about.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Diaries.