Yvonne's Reviews > The Wolf Gift

The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, mystery-thriller
Read from July 26 to August 13, 2012

I read this book at a very slow pace, picking it up to read a few pages at a time. It turned out to be a very pleasant although not earth shattering read. The story travels down a familiar path in the werewolf genre with a few different quirks along the way like adding a little vigilantism which brings a more feel good aspect to it. There's nothing like a little vengeance to satisfy the soul sometimes--at least in a novel.

The basic premise is young man gets bitten by a werewolf & eventually turns into one & the book details how he deals with this.It is a slow starter with the first chapter going into endless and sometimes tedious details about a young reporter falling in love with a house and its owner who he's interviewing. The pace does pick up as the story goes along and it becomes more interesting.

This book is more subtle than a modern day horror book. The hero, Reuben, spends a lot of time ruminating about his life and there's a lot of philosophical discussions throughout. Sometimes the characters seem to enter the story only to exit without much of an impact. An example of this would be Reuben's brother who's a priest who's used as a confessional vessel but for little else.

There is some violence of course and an odd little romance tacked on with a woman I found pretty colorless in many ways. The sexual activity was not tremendously detailed but it was of the werewolf/human variety.

By the end of the book, I found myself satisfied with the way it turned out. There were a couple of loose ends left that seemed to indicate this is going to be the start of a new series. There are several characters that are introduced that we only begin to get to know towards the end of the story. I enjoyed this story well enough that if there's additional stories in this vein, I'll check it out.

ETA: I'd also see the movie if there is one made. Apparently Anne Rice based the physical description of Reuben on Matt Bomer & would love for him to play the part.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf Gift.

08/11/2012 page 150

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela How`s that going? I loved Rice for 3 Vampire novels and her Withing Hour series, but I think her writing went down-hill from there...I want to read this book, but would appreciate some feedback.

Yvonne Just checking into GR today and saw this. I did finish the book. I'll try to come up with some sort of review soon. I liked it but I know a lot of other people didn't so you may just have to take a chance & read it to see if it's for you.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela will do !