Amy's Reviews > 2666

Dec 14, 08

bookshelves: latin-america
Recommended to Amy by: Green Apple Books & Music
Read in December, 2008

Split up into five parts, 2666 centers mainly on the unsolved murders of hundreds of women in Santa Teresa, Mexico or mysteries involving the life of an obscure German author. Sometimes touching on both. This is straight up, modern style fiction, and each section can be read as a story on its own, but does feature intertwining elements, creating a much richer story as a whole. For a 900 page book, this was an enjoyable and relatively quick read. The Part About the Crimes grew a bit tedious for me, but I would still easily recommend this book to anyone curious enough to tackle it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2666.

message 1: by Nora (new)

Nora Dillonovich you are a mad woman! I saw this at Powells yesterday. it is a beastly text. i will wait until I am infirm or retired (which is likely to never happen given my lackluster saving skills and this egregious economy.)

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Oh Nora! You should read it with me...even if it takes you a year or longer to finish it. I think it's about time for you to embrace "beastly", long texts

message 3: by Nora (new)

Nora Dillonovich Amy! Moi? You're kidding?! I have a nice stack of smallish books to occupy meself with. This is of biblical proportions. And I don't even know how much I like Bolano... I started savage dicks, but meh.

message 4: by Saxon (new)

Saxon Bolano equals balogna. Okay not really. I just wanted to write that. This sounds great. Strange place to start tho. Wasnt this is his post-hum text? Why not start with something he published when alive?

message 5: by Nora (new)

Nora Dillonovich Yah, and maybe start smaller and er,eh,em cheaper. Or, in library terms, get one that won't be on hold until after new year. There is a short story collection of his the people rave about... nice and small, manageable. I am all about manageability. In a world awry with the chaos of capitalism, why not exercise the reigns of control upon one's reading pursuits?

message 6: by Nora (new)

Nora Dillonovich Scratch that. You've already procured said beastly book according to your voicemail message. It isn't so much long texts specifically that I have a problem with; it's just, if I'm going to head down books-that-can-cause-Scoliosis-lane, then there are others I'd like to suffer the physical pain of carrying around first. But for now, I am sticking to the pile of under 400 paged books I have acquired. Besides, my arms! They're likea linguini and a booka like thata! Oofff.

message 7: by Nora (new)

Nora Dillonovich Can I get an update? an up-date (the previous sentences were meant to be sung, bone thugs in harmony style)

message 8: by Saxon (new)

Saxon what? a month? thats all it took?

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Haha. You knew I was a fast reader, besides, I think that speaks to the novel's ability to engage