Lizzy Lessard's Reviews > Blade Song

Blade Song by J.C. Daniels

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, reviewed
Read from July 26 to 29, 2012

Blade Song has restored my faith in the Urban Fantasy genre and it’s entirely because of the characters. I don’t like instant love. I don’t like more dialogue than action. Kit and Damon neither like each other at the beginning nor are happy with simply “talking”. There’s just as much physically fighting between them as there is with the endless stream of bad guys that appear in the novel.

The book begins with Kit, a private detective, who is about to get an offer from Damon, a Cat shifter, and in that same chapter I fell in love with both. Know why? Kit doesn’t like Damon. Damon isn’t trilled to have to work with Kit. Apparently not many people like Kit, as she’s constantly fighting and her first thought whenever going some where is to poke someone with her sword. Damon is her partner in crime and not because he likes her. He’s on this case to ensure that she finds the missing teenage shifter. He doesn’t like it when Kit pokes him with her sword. Damon becomes a very sour puss.

The is also a vampire named Jude that enters into Kit’s dreams and brings a whole new dimension to the term ‘stalker’. Kit doesn’t like Jude either, but its apparent that Jude likes Kit a lot. This isn’t a love triangle. This is a triangle of hate – and I love the twist. Oh, and besides the not so pleasant dreams from Jude, Kit also experiences flashbacks of her grandmother’s abuse of her as a child, which explains how she became so talented. It also touches on her growing up half human in a community that looked down on humans. I can’t remember what her race is called and I wish there were more details explained about it because the flashbacks were very intriguing.

Without spoiling the plot, I’d like to mention that there were quite a few action scenes where Kit and Damon fight people instead of simply talk. It might be a little too much action, because it felt like the plot wasn’t advancing at times. The leads led to deadend after deadend.

There were redundant words that annoyed the crap out of me. There was too much “glaring” and Damon grinned more than the Cheshire cat.

But the ending was excellent. Kit may have gained more enemies than allies by the last page, but she definitely stuck to her guns blazing personality the whole book. Although this wasn’t a perfect book for me, I’ll definitely read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blade Song.

07/26/2012
84.0% "It's crazy how happy I am that Kit and Damon HATE each other so much at the beginning. No instant love. What a concept!"