Shara's Reviews > Batman: Earth One, Volume 1

Batman by Geoff Johns

Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: borrowed
Read from July 26 to 27, 2012

The premise: ganked form BN.com: Batman is not a hero.

He is just a man.

Fallible, vulnerable, and angry.

In a Gotham City where friend and foe are indistinguishable, Bruce Wayne's path toward becoming the Dark Knight is riddled with more obstacles than ever before. Focused on punishing his parents’ true killers, and the corrupt police that allowed them to go free, Bruce Wayne's thirst for vengeance fuels his mad crusade and no one, not even Alfred, can stop him.

In the tradition of the #1 New York Times bestselling Superman: Earth One, writer Geoff Johns and artist Gary Frank re-imagine a new mythology for the Dark Knight, where the familiar is no longer the expected in this long-awaited original graphic novel from DC Comics.

My Rating: Good Read

I loved the alternate take on Batman's origin and the way Geoff Johns is utilizing the various characters from Bat-verse to create a new spin on an already very familiar story. The ending definitely leaves room for a sequel, one which I look forward to getting, especially since it's fun to see Batman learn how to be Batman. Because I'm a fangirl, I'm always up for whatever interpretations people have to throw at me regarding this character, and this one could easily win my heart with time and a few more installments. I find the character of Bruce Wayne to be fascinating on a psychological level, which is probably why I find his Rogue's Gallery equally fascinating: they tend to be symbols for various psychological states of mind (especially in Nolan's trilogy). At any rate, it's a good read with good art, and I think Bat-fans will be pleased.

Spoilers, yay or nay?: Yay. Because while it's a short graphic novel, I want to talk about the details of how this origin differs from others and how it utilizes familiar faces in Batman's universe. For those of you avoiding spoilers, do not read the full review. For those of you who don't care or who have already read this, the full review is linked below, at my blog. As always, comments and discussion are most welcome!

REVIEW: Geoff Johns' BATMAN: EARTH ONE

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

07/27/2012 page 144