bookczuk's Reviews > The Thin Place

Dec 11, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: bookcrossing, home-library
Read in December, 2008

This book was given to me by bumma a Christmas or two ago and I somehow avoided taking it off the shelf until recently. Having said that, I believe it has taken me longer than any book in recent memory to finish. Normally, I'm a magical realism kind of girl, but somehow I never found the flow of this book. Rather than stand as a story, the vignettes did not hold together for me. Perhaps it was because I would set the book down with one character and when I picked it up again, I was with someone totally different.

Thin places, particularly in Celtic Britain and Ireland, are spots where the veil between this world and the other world is thin -- spots where we can sense the existence of a world beyond what we know, where we can almost reach out to touch the Other World, but it remains just beyond our fingertips. And perhaps I was just too far away from the perfect spot to appreciate this book completely at this time in my life. It reminded me of Bergman's "The SEventh Seal", but that may just have been because of the cover of my particular edition.

On to the book--I won't try and describe the story, as it's just a bit to disjointed in my mind to relay. But it is set in a New England town and covers everything from the here and now, the yet to come and even a past tragedy in the 1800's. It is told from the perspectives of schoolgirls, dogs, octogenarians, pastors, parents, police reports and even at one point, a beaver. I've read reviews that focus on the opening event, three girls find a man's body on the beach. Two go off for help, and the third somehow finds the power to revive him. The whole book does seem to focus on spots between life and death, which may indeed be thin places. The prose was wonderful, if somewhat unconventional. I just think I need to digest it more before rating it or sending it off into the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thin Place.