Jacob's Reviews > Three Novels of Old New York: The House of Mirth; The Custom of the Country; The Age of Innocence

Three Novels of Old New York by Edith Wharton
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Novels of Old New York.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell AWW YEAH

message 2: by Jacob (new) - added it

Jacob AND IT DOESN'T HAVE THE FRANZEN INTRO!

message 3: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "AND IT DOESN'T HAVE THE FRANZEN INTRO!"

//FISTBUMP

message 4: by Jacob (new) - added it

Jacob I made a special shelf just for Edith.

message 5: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "I made a special shelf just for Edith."

OMG you DID?

jonathan-franzen-can-suck-it

<333 Edith also sends you posthumous <333

message 6: by Jacob (new) - added it

Jacob Found a bunch of her novels on paperbackswap too. Glimpses of the Moon, Mother's Recompense, The Reef, Roman Fever and Other Stories, Summer. Must...resist...

message 7: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "Found a bunch of her novels on paperbackswap too. Glimpses of the Moon, Mother's Recompense, The Reef, Roman Fever and Other Stories, Summer. Must...resist..."

OOOOoooooh.

-- BUT WHY

SUCCUMB TO THE SIREN CALL OF MRS WHARTON, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

message 8: by Jacob (new) - added it

Jacob Oh, I want to. Just not all at once. I don't think I'm strong enough to endure all that awesome.

message 9: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "Oh, I want to. Just not all at once. I don't think I'm strong enough to endure all that awesome."

The power of Edith Wharton COMPELS YOU!

I got, lemme see, the LoA volume with her autobiography in it, and then a scholarly? edition of the autobiography, which I already have on the Kindle but it's in a shitty from-PDF version with no notes or anything, and her letters to her governess (AWESOME).....but I do not have a book problem, nosir.

message 10: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Also WTF? http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/5... Oh, I guess that is a glove. I thought it was a popsicle. Or, uh, something else.

message 11: by Jacob (last edited Jul 26, 2012 10:45PM) (new) - added it

Jacob I also snagged a dirt-cheap student copy of Ethan Frome recently, not realizing that when they said "edited," they meant "butchered":

Townsend Library classics have been edited to make them more accessible to today’s readers. But the books have not been "abridged" in the sense of shortening them by sacrificing story development, character richness, and the author’s voice. In our experience, abridged books result from a simplistic removal of large chunks of material or a formulaic "translation" that robs a book of its distinctive flavor. By contrast, as we produce a Townsend Library title, we seek to edit the material carefully and respectfully in order to preserve the qualities that have made the book a classic.

Examples:
Dracula
1. This story was written for people who were familiar with 19th century European geography, and the original contains countless pages of detail about cities, towns, rivers, ports, and travel routes that would make many 21st century readers’ eyes glaze over. Such detail, not at all integral to the story, has been reduced.

2. Stoker was very excited about the new technologies of his day--such as shorthand writing and Thomas Edison’s "dictaphone" machine, which recorded the human voice on wax cylinders--and in the original Dracula, he goes on for many pages about these “modern” inventions. We minimized the number of details about these outdated inventions in order to get on with the story.

3. We also replaced words that might be unfamiliar or confusing to today’s readers: for instance, the old French word "diligence" is changed to "stagecoach"; the phrase "toilet glass" is changed to "shaving mirror."

Yeah, I'm not going to read this edition.

message 12: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell ....WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

message 13: by Jacob (new) - added it

Jacob "All of our books have been carefully edited to make them more readable. (All the books fall within a sixth- to tenth-grade reading level, which is the usual level of writing for the general adult public)"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

message 14: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Elizabeth wrote: "Moira wrote: "....WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK"
Agreed. That's a train wreck."

Just about as bad as No Fear Shakespeare. //cries