Bridget's Reviews > Something Wicked This Way Comes

F 50x66
Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read on July 26, 2012

Reading this today was a bit of a wild ride! I had to make sure that I read it during the day because I started it at night and found myself afraid of the dark! Ray Bradbury is (or was) a master of his craft and this book is an example of that!

The descriptions of Jim and Will's feelings and friendship and general boyhood are just perfect and Mr Halloway is a great character as well.

My favourite part of this is that the whole book has so much depth. It really got me thinking about acceptance of our lives and choices, age and consequences of actions. There is this underlying sense of 'hey, life is terrifying and beautiful and sad and happy: Guess what? You have to go through it anyway and its going to be magnificent and horrible depending on what happens.' (So maybe that's too long a sentence for what I was trying to say, but whatever!)

I appreciate the layers of this story and its metaphor very much, it turns out that I read this absolutely scary story at exactly the perfect time for me. I think I needed both a good scare and a think about life :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Wicked This Way Comes.