Kristin (KC)'s Reviews > Knee Deep

Knee Deep by Jolene Perry

Oct 11, 14

bookshelves: abuse, new-adult-ya, powerful

Took my breath away!

I was initially a bit hesitant to read a book majorly focused on abuse; a subject such as this normally leaves me with an uneasy feeling. But the way Ms. Perry flawlessly tackles this delicate subject—using a soft touch to convey a firm message, left me in awe!

The story begins at the birth of the abuse and progresses from there. Shawn was Ronnie's childhood love; her destiny, and she couldn't imagine life without him. As Shawn's behavior becomes threatening, Ronnie starts to see herself as the cause of his abusive behavior rather than a victim of it. Throughout this all, her amazing (and gorgeous) best friend Luke stands by her. But as the line of friendship between them starts to blur, her internal struggle further intensifies...

This book does an outstanding job demonstrating how easily one can fall victim to abuse. It also conveys the importance of getting out and not regarding such behavior as "normal". There are no gory details or in-depth accounts, but the message is strong and clear enough that I felt as if I were the one holding my breath at times.

I would absolutely recommend this book to Young Adult readers of all ages, but especially teens. The story takes place in high school, and is a fairly clean read. Although the main focus settles on escaping an unhealthy situation, I really enjoyed the tender love story between life-long friends, as well. Original read!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Book Stats:
▪ Genre/Category: Young Adult
▪ Steam Caliber: Clean
▪ Romance: Friends-first connection.
▪ Characters: In high school. Abusive hero. Broken and confused heroine.
▪ Plot: A young girl's struggle with an abusive relationship. *Mildly graphic scenarios*
▪ Writing: Authentic and engaging. Fluid and graceful.
▪ POV: 1st Person: Heroine
▪ Cliffhanger: None/Standalone

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knee Deep.

08/04/2012
60.0% "This book is really good, so far. Things with Shawn are getting pretty crazy and I'm certain will soon be out of control completely. I SO want to see Ronnie with Luke <3"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth Great Read!!

Kristin (KC) Liz wrote: "Great Read!!"

Thanks, Liz-- sounds good!

Elizabeth Enjoy! Short and Sweet!

Kristin (KC) Thanks, Liz! That's what I'm looking for ;)

Lisa This was a great, realistic read!

Kristin (KC) Lisa wrote: "This was a great, realistic read!"

It really was, Lisa! I loved it!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful review, Kris!

Kristin (KC) Tammie wrote: "Wonderful review, Kris!"

Thanks, Tammie! :)

Adrian Sima I've actually read it based on your awesome review and it definetely had a really thoughtful story that made my heart ache, I've enjoyed it a lot

Kristin (KC) Adrian wrote: "I've actually read it based on your awesome review and it definetely had a really thoughtful story that made my heart ache, I've enjoyed it a lot"

Glad you enjoyed, Adrian :)

message 11: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee Beautiful review KC- this might be just what I need! :)

Kristin (KC) Renee wrote: "Beautiful review KC- this might be just what I need! :)"

Thanks, Renee! I actually just added in my review that the characters are in high school--just in case you missed it and aren't into straight up young adult! ;) I know some readers stay away from YA. Hope u enjoy, if you decide to read it!!

message 13: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee Thanks for letting me know.. I don't mind YA but it depends on my mood. I need to get over this book slump! It's killing me!

Kristin (KC) Renee wrote: "Thanks for letting me know.. I don't mind YA but it depends on my mood. I need to get over this book slump! It's killing me!"

I know what you mean...besides the awesome EiT books...my reading is slumpin' too, lately! Maybe you need to switch up the genre for a book or two?

message 15: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee Well EIT is was what initially put me in me the slump..I loved it! Then I read a few after books after that that I didn't like then I finally read I read the love me with lies series and that's it! I was a goner! That series put me in a worse slump than EIT! It's ruined me! Maybe I will need to try other genres... I don't know I need to get over this...

message 16: by Kristin (KC) (last edited Aug 01, 2013 11:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristin (KC) Aw, dont worry...it happens to us all! You'll get out of it. Have you tried this forbidden love story? I haven't read it yet, but it seems to be generating a lot of positive buzz!
Unteachable by Leah Raeder

message 17: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee I read a sample of it last night... I'm tossing between that and beneath the burn.. I dunno I'll see. Thanks for the suggestions... :) I need me some more Dex.. Him and his smart mouth will put me in my place real quick!!! ;)

message 18: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy Fantastic review KC! I enjoy this author's writing. I'll have to check this one out xo

David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party" Sweet review by a sweet reviewer! You did an amazing job as always, Kris! ♥

message 20: by Karla (new)

Karla Lovely review Kris!

Kristin (KC) Christy wrote: "Fantastic review KC! I enjoy this author's writing. I'll have to check this one out xo"

Thank you, pretty girl! I'm a fan of her writing as well; so polished and natural. I hope you enjoy!! :)

Kristin (KC) David Green - Proud member of Team Perry! wrote: "Sweet review by a sweet reviewer! You did an amazing job as always, Kris! ♥"

Aw, thanks so much, sweet David!! ;) ❤

Kristin (KC) Karla wrote: "Lovely review Kris!"

Thank you, Karal!! :) ❤

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Wonderful review, sweetie.

Kristin (KC) Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "Wonderful review, sweetie."

Thank you, Kristen!! :)) x

message 26: by Lisa Jayne (new)

Lisa Jayne Lovely lovely review!!! Kisses x

Kristin (KC) Lisa Jayne wrote: "Lovely lovely review!!! Kisses x"

Thank you, sweet girl! :) xx

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen Fantastic review Kris!

Kristin (KC) Jen wrote: "Fantastic review Kris!"

Thank u, Jen! :)