Laura's Reviews > The Winds and the Waves

The Winds and the Waves by Dean Hughes

Jul 26, 12

Read in June, 2012

Liked:
Hughes gets his Democrat on. I thought social equality would be taboo for a Mormon author, so yay for Dean! It was laid on a little thick, though.
The dialogue where two sisters wittily fend off an unwanted suitor is Dean at his finest.
The Saints are portrayed without their halos. (Hughes defends this himself within the characters' dialogue.) It's like we're afraid we'll lose our testimonies if we find out the pioneers were real people.

Not so much:
The parallel, modern story. The characters just seemed whiny when set up against the older story. And they needed a good marital spat or something; unemployment + disagreement over how to handle it and the tension never got thick? Maybe the next book will add more layers to their characters.
One character went from Doubting Thomas to Peter Priesthood way too fast and without adequate explanation.
I'll be honest, the book lost a lot of its appeal after the romantic conflict is resolved. What can I say? I'm a girl.

Not as good as "Children of the Promise," but I will definitely read the next one. Brother Hughes remains the best of the LDS authors.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winds and the Waves.