Julesmarie's Reviews > After Ben

After Ben by Con Riley

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: favorites, m-m
Read in July, 2012

There aren't enough words in any of the languages I know to express just how much I loved this book. This book makes me wish Peter were a real person so I could recommend that he use it as part of his program to help abuse victims.

Everything about this book was perfect. It was stunningly beautifully written. The characters were spot-on perfect: sympathetic without being pitiful, strong without being forceful or arrogant, and absolutely breathtakingly perfect for each other. The pacing was fantastic, as was the use of the forum and emails and messaging and flashbacks to give us just the exact right amount of information at the most incredibly perfect time.

And the relationship between Theo and Morgan has to be one of my all-time favorites. Believable and sweet and fantastically hot all at the same time.

Every Morgan out there deserves to have a Theo--someone to remind them that no matter what the world says, they're so strong and so brave just for surviving and making it out alive and sane. And silly as it might sound, this book gives me hope for the first time that there might be a Theo out there for me, too.

If ever there were a book to help me get over my worry of what people might think if I told them I read m/m romance and just recommend it to everyone I've ever known, this is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Ben.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea Absolutely right! After this book I was left feeling gratitude for my loving husband and a sense of peace from a well told story!

Great review!

Julesmarie Yes! That's it exactly! She did a spectacular job showing what a loving relationship OUGHT to be like. I started reading romance because I have a past eerily similar to Morgan's (the whole time I kept thinking that he's a gay male version of me, lol) and I liked the fantasy aspect of all of the happily-ever-afters. This is the first book--m/m or otherwise--that made the HEA actually seem realistic and attainable, even for those of us who've been broken.

Neet Great review! I can't wait to order this book, it just sounds wonderful and well-written! It's also seems to be getting great reviews.

Julesmarie I can't wait to hear what you think of it! I honestly can't say enough good things about this book!

message 5: by Neet (last edited Jul 27, 2012 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neet I just ordered it on kindle, I'm reading Admit One now, but after that I plan to read "After Ben",I never heard of this author, she must be new, and based on the reviews of this book,she has a promising career.

Julesmarie Ooh, Admit One was awesome too! I'd not heard of this author either, so after I finished the book I looked her up and this is indeed her first. And I absolutely agree that based on this book she does indeed have a promising career.

Neet This is so funny...the reason I purchased Admit One was based on your review (also was a Rent fan) and now I purchased another book based on your review...I trust your reviews!

Julesmarie I can't wait to hear what you think about both books, then!