Mogsy (MMOGC)'s Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Sep 04, 12

bookshelves: audiobook, contemporary, dystopia-utopia, fantasy, historical-fiction, science-fiction, post-apocalyptic
Read from August 25 to September 02, 2012

Like the legions of people who have picked up this book lately, I was first intrigued by the trailer for the upcoming film based on it. Now that I’ve read it, I’m more curious than ever. It’s not particularly an ideal book to make an adaptation.

It’s like six separate stories all nested within each other like a Russian matryoshka doll, its characters only having a tenuous link to each other. Like six novellas, the first five split in half, interrupted right in the middle, only to be continued after the sixth story is told to completion. Does this even make sense? Every time I try to explain it, I’m given arched eyebrows and confused looks. You can see why I am curious how this will fly as a movie.

The stories are set in different times, different places, each has its own themes and even its own written style. As such, I don’t even really know how to classify this book — it is science fiction, it is fantasy; it is also historical fiction, and it is mystery. It also has a dash of romance and a bit of thriller. David Mitchell has done something amazing, giving each of his six protagonists a distinct voice and personality. The book is thematically quite heavy, with lots to think about during and after reading, but ultimately also very enjoyable to read.

My one gripe is I found that "first halves" of all the stories to be so much more interesting. By the time I reached the second halves, I found my interest waning a bit for each story. The build up is always better.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.