♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme's Reviews > The Angel

The Angel by Tiffany Reisz

Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: bdsm, netgalley-reviews, taboo, challenge-bdsm-countdown, arc, challenge-erotic-sexy-series
Read from July 26 to August 28, 2012

Søren and Elenora are back together, is this the happily ever after? After years apart, they are reunited; it's a beautiful thing watching them together. The BDSM edgeplay is definitely turned up in this one. The SM is absolutely divine. The blood play was unexpected and gives edge players delicious shivers.

In this story, the history unfolds like layers of an onion skin. While this is cliché to say, it’s because as each memory is peeled back, the reader can not help but gasp in pain with tears stinging the eyes. Nora, Søren, Griffin, Michael and Kingsley are each dealt a bad hand. The harshness they have endured is heartbreaking. Does Ms. Reisz ever have any happy thoughts? With suicide, incest, pedophilia, child abuse, rape and abandonment, really, what more can be added? The reader may find Søren to be a sadist. They are wrong. The true sadist is the author, Ms. Reisz. These characters are all broken and damaged at a young age. Amazingly, they grow stronger from their setbacks. The fact that each character grew into a functioning adult is a surprise yet believable.

In the midst of these secrets revealed, a nosy reporter with an axe to grind is going after Søren. She’s one of those people who will see sexual molestation anywhere, because that’s what she wants to see. Suzanne is the most annoying hypocrite in this story. She accuses Søren as a child molester and a violator of his vows, yet she sexually desires him and wants him just one night in bed with him. She begs him. I want to slap the woman; Nora will need to get in line, behind me.

This story while is supposed to be about Michael, it’s laying the foundation for Søren and Kingsley’s relationship. Learning about Søren’s sordid past shows how he became the man he is today. Insights into his and Kingsley’s childhood clarify their modus operandi. They are both powerful men who will never be victimized again. Not only this, but they will protect those they own. The power Kingsley wields against the press is incredibly arousing. He is a good ally to defend one’s honour. Søren is pure Machiavellian and why does it make him all the more attractive? So far, every action they take is one with altruist motives. Then again, the path to hell is paved with good intentions. How does one reconcile all the wrongs that are committed in this book? Ms. Reisz purposely juxtaposes breaches of religious and moral ethics next to the positive outcomes. It makes the reader question over and over; does the end justify the means? When is the line crossed if it’s constantly being erased?

At least there is a happily ever after for one couple in this book. For most of the characters, it’s only the beginning of the next journey. If the last scene is anything to go by, it’s going to be another emotional rollercoaster filled with gut clenching anxiety. Who will Nora end up with? How will this all end? With the number of unrequited lovers, it doesn’t seem there can be a happy resolution for any of them. Ms. Reisz is a masterful sadist prolonging the torment of her characters. The faithful readers are voyeuristic masochists eagerly devouring the pain and suffer while yearning for more. This BDSM novel is recommended for kinky readers who crave physical and emotional edge play and complicated relationships.

*ARC from http://www.netgalley.com/*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel.

08/28/2012 page 152
37.0% "Stomach clenching anxiety. What is with her and Wes? MAKE PEACE with him. Let him go!"

~ Becs ~ Great review - really had a laugh at you labelling Tiff a sadist! I feel sure she'll love it!

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Becs wrote: "Great review - really had a laugh at you labelling Tiff a sadist! I feel sure she'll love it!"

Thanks Becs. It's not one of my better reviews. I was filled with cliques for this review. I kept re-writing it. It's still not as good as my review for The Siren. I did love this book but man, f-ing A man. What is up with Soren and Nora? UGH! I want to see the resolution which isn't going to happen in Prince, is it?

message 3: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Great review --am so looking forward to reading this

message 4: by ♆ BookAddict (last edited Aug 29, 2012 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Joy wrote: "Great review --am so looking forward to reading this"

Thanks, Joy. :) It's a good one - the BDSM is HAWT!

~ Becs ~ ♆ BookAddict wrote: "
Thanks Becs. It's not one of my better reviews. I was filled with cliques for this reis review. I kept re-writing it. It's still not as good as my review for The Siren. I did love this book but man, f-ing A man. What is up with Soren and Nora? UGH! I want to see the resolution which isn't going to happen in Prince, is it?"

No, from what I know (view spoiler)

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Becs wrote: "I can't wait to see that - Kingsley is my favourite character in all of these books and novellas and I personally really like the characters to suffer and have suffered and I like to suffer with them! What in the world does that make me - sadist, masochist? I have no clue. "

We call you sadomasochistic. I'm one of those...

As for Kingsley, I do like him quite a bit too. And I think the photograph of Kingsley with Søren in the library in their youth says it all. Søren is definitely the Alpha to Omega Dom. (Which incidentally rather biblical and kind of a hubris if Søren bought into it...)

~ Becs ~ I'm sure he does in his way. Have you read Submit to Desire? Very enjoyable Kingsley story.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Becs wrote: "I'm sure he does in his way. Have you read Submit to Desire? Very enjoyable Kingsley story."

NO! I haven't. I'm guessing I need to go find it and purchase it. :)

Juls just reading the blood play part now. its my first time and i'm not sure how i feel about reading it :/

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Juls wrote: "just reading the blood play part now. its my first time and i'm not sure how i feel about reading it :/"

It's not for everyone. I have met a few people that really get into it.

message 11: by Juls (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juls it def not like when reading about vamps LOL

Oceans Great review BA

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Oceans wrote: "Great review BA"

Thanks. :)