mary's Reviews > A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

Mar 21, 07

i never finished this book, and i don't particularly plan to.

i mean sure, it's funny, it's sad, it has its moments. i got involved with the graphic and emotionally staggering descriptions of his parents. and this guy has had a pretty intense life if this is his memoir. recognition must be given for that. fine. but the preface? the rules? dear lord. the last thing i need to read is the self-indulgent self-obsessed tale of a self-centric and self-aggrandizing smart kid. i have enough of those around me in real life, and i tend to tune out when they start talking.

i stopped reading at part two when he starts up might magazine. does it get better after that? let's hope, for the sake of the pulitzer committee that decided to make it a finalist. i rarely just give up on books like this, so a part of me wants to pick up again just to know what happens. and to know why it was so wildly popular.

but then again, i don't particularly like mcsweeney's. maybe that's my problem. i don't know. read it if you want. meh.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

Melody I couldn't get into this book. I jumped ship after about 80 pages.

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 1 star

Ben My sentiments exactly. Spot on.

Melissa Rochelle i agree completely...

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Here's one more who didn't finish it.

message 5: by Seth (new)

Seth Thanks, Mary--now I don't have to write a review.

Vanessa Rush Exactly. All those adjectives beginning with "self-" describe Eggers perfectly. The only worthwhile contribution he's made to this world is the fabulous and collaborative

Brent Reid I am willing to show Dave Eggers how to drywall, with the drywall hammer I used to destroy this book. As long as he STOPS WRITING.

message 8: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie I'm another "not able (willing) to finish it. Too many other books to waste time plowing through this. Clever? Yep. Witty? Yep. Sad? Yep. I get it.

message 9: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill Thanks-I have tried to read this book twice and couldn't get into it. Now I don't have to feel that I need to keep trying.