Dorie's Reviews > Wine of Violence

Aug 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical-mysteries, first-of-a-series
Read from July 26 to August 01, 2012

Pretty good historical mystery. This is the first of a series, and I've bought the second one to continue. The story is set in 1270 in a small priory in England. A young nun named Eleanor is newly appointed as prioress, and struggles to gain the respect and acceptance of the other nuns and monks that reside there. On her first day at the priory Eleanor has to cope with the discovery of an older monk found murdered in the garden, as well as a newly arrived monk named Brother Thomas for which she develops a disturbing and unwanted attraction.

The characters and setting were very well drawn. Eleanor is both kind and smart, although some of her actions and attitudes seemed a little too modern to me. I felt much sympathy for the young Brother Thomas, who was forced into the order as an alternative to death after being caught in a homosexual encounter with a boyhood friend. And the medical character of Anne was intriguing - I will look forward to learning more about her past. Unfortunately the murder mystery itself became to lose my interest around the middle of the book, but I persevered. I didn't love the resolution only because it removed a character that I thought had a lot of interesting potential. But overall I look forward to reading the next book in the series. Three and a half stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wine of Violence.