S. J.'s Reviews > Where the Wild Things Are

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Jul 27, 12

bookshelves: award-winning, children-s-books, crapclassics, far-fetched-fiction, picture-books, whoops-i-got-you-again
Recommended to S. by: Library and Author Name
Recommended for: Art Students I guess
Read in January, 1995, read count: At least twice

*Incomplete review-redo*

Yes, ok. I know that apparently all those books that everyone loves, just don't work for me. This is yet another example.

Let me say (this sounds familiar) that I love Maurice Sendak's work, particularly In the Night Kitchen. Which is a banned book, actually. So, it is not his work I don't like. It's the story. Even as a child I found it...boring. Yeah, I know but I did. Now, as an adult, I find it worse. The things the boy says and the idea of letting a child run wild like that greatly troubles me. Yes, I know it's fiction but lets be honest-you've seen kids that you've wondered if they spent time on that island. I know I have. I think the idea of the story sets up some very not good implications for children. Whether they figure those out would depend on the child.

So, check out this classic? I'd say not. Check out other Sendak work? Yes. Go now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Wild Things Are.