Imperfectlyrua Castle-Hackett's Reviews > Glasshouse

Glasshouse by Charles Stross

Dec 05, 08

bookshelves: own, science-fiction, cyber-punk
Read in January, 2008 , read count: 1

This was the most intriguing new science fiction book I've read in a long time. The plot was kinda standard mystery but everything else was really new. He took some modern technical paradigms, projected them into the future and created an amazingly well developed "world." In addition, the book takes place mostly in an anachronistic simulation of the 1990's. And since the main character is a participant in the experiment there's an interesting ethnographical aspect to the narrative. (eg. he keeps referring to the "tiny feathered dinosaurs" in the park. The author used a great voice for this character and uses a neat plot device to tell the backstory in flashback/dreams.

Overall, this was a great read. I would not suggest it to someone who is a straight fantasy fan, it comes off a little Hard Sci-Fi at times. Although it is not actually necessary that these moments make any sense to the reader, it may be a little off-putting to someone who is not generally a fan of the genre. I would recommend this to everyone else.

After reading about half of his works, this is my favorite Stross novel. I was kind of sad to read that he doesn't intend to write further in his "far future" universe.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glasshouse.

03/09 marked as: read