Amerynth's Reviews > Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick

Jul 26, 12

bookshelves: history, nonfiction, read-2012, american-history, native-americans, war
Read in February, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Nathaniel Philbrick's "Mayflower: A story of courage, community and war" is a wonderful and fascinating look at Colonial America. The book certainly proves that the best stories about the Pilgrims and King Philip's War were certainly left out of classroom lessons (at least mine and I grew up in the area where many of these events occurred.)

The first half of the book focuses on the Pilgrims and their flight from England and later Holland, as they looked to a land of religious freedom (provided it was their own religion, of course.) Great account of the first years in Plymouth and the establishment of the Massachusetts Bay colony too. This portion of the book is really Philbrick at his best.

The second half of the book focuses on King Philip's War. I liked this half too, though not as much as the first half, as it sort of jumped from event to event. (Perhaps just assuming I knew more about the war than I actually did.)

Overall, a really great book. I don't have really have a big interest in American history, but if all of the history books from my childhood were this readable, I would.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mayflower.