John Lawson's Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Oct 30, 12

bookshelves: adventure, historical-fiction, sci-fi-fantasy, existential, paranormal
Read from October 03 to 29, 2012

This book was only OK. Six different stories in six different times, loosely connected, but although the connections suggested Portentous Meaning, none of them were resolved. Intentional? Maybe. Left up to the Reader to determine the hidden Truths? Possibly. Sloppy/lazy writing? Also possible. I gave it three stars. I found the six stories to be interesting and entertaining, I thought the hints at connections to be engaging (such as the titular "Cloud Atlas" sextet, a recurring comet tattoo, and some kind of reincarnation/collective consciousness theme), but I found the lack of explanation/resolution to be very unsatisfying.

Just about everything I found interesting in the book remained unexplained, which really kind of stunk. Again, maybe intentional, but the end result (from a reader's point-of-view) was that all the best parts of the book were missing.

If there was to be any greater take-away from the book, my guess it would be to quote Bill & Ted: "Be cool to each other." That, and don't fuck up the planet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.