Mimi's Reviews > Letters from a Nut

Jul 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: did-not-finish, book-club, adult
Read in July, 2012

The author of this book wrote ridiculous letters (often requests) to real companies, and the original letters and responses are published in this book.

I thought many of the letters were funny. I read about three fourths of the book. And there were maybe five that I read out loud to my husband, because I thought they were so funny. I really enjoyed the one he wrote to the stadium seating company president. :) Truly a question for the ages . . .

However, it stopped being as funny for me when he started involving diseases or situations that real people have to deal with. It's one thing to ask about getting on a bus wearing a stick of butter costume or getting special protection at a restaurant because you look like Abraham Lincoln or gambling dressed as a shrimp, but, to me, Siamese twins and Tourette's Syndrome was not as funny. And he was not making fun of those conditions, but he was making someone else concerned about them, and he doesn't have them. Essentially, and realistically, he was lying. And once I realized how he was lying in most of the letters, it made it less funny for me. So, really I'm kind of lame. I am often told that I need to lighten up, so I'm not surprised that I stopped enjoying the book.

And I'm sure that even though many of the letters were lies they probably still lightened the person's day who received them. I'm sure they were shared in the break room and enjoyed by many people. It was really interesting to see who took them seriously, who could tell it was a big joke, and who obviously didn't read the letter at all. I was very impressed by how courteous many of the responses were to his ridiculous letters. I hope Nancy was sincere in his letters expressing appreciation.

I am sure many people will enjoy this book and its humor.

Some quotes I enjoyed.

"Dear Mr. Nancy: Yours is one of the most interesting requests I have ever received. Candidly, I can't imagine any family who has lost a loved one wanting to see a mannequin that resembles that person."

[These letters are about whether you should exit stadium seating with your back or front to the people sitting in the aisle next to you.] "Stadium seating is the only situation in life where you can show whole rows of people your butt or crotch. And it's acceptable! Can something be done about this seating? Should the rows be changed? . . . Is there a gracious way to exit?" "Dear Mr. Nancy: Your letter on crotch or butt first was most interesting. In fact, in all 38 years which I have been in this business it is probably the most interesting question I have ever been asked. I shared your letter with numerous of my colleagues, and they have also found it most interesting." And my favorite part of this letter was at the end of the letter, but I don't want to give that away. You'll have to read the book. :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters from a Nut.

02/22/2014 marked as: did-not-finish

Lisa N I was planning to read this book this summer but have not gotten to it yet. It was required reading for our middle school gifted class. One of their assignments was to write their own sham letter and send it.

Mimi I honestly think most people will like it. I often don't find things funny that other people think are funny, and I really do get told a lot to "lighten up." I am too sensitive.

It is interesting though that the teacher is encouraging the students to write their own letters and send them. On the one hand, I suppose that's a good creative writing practice that the students will probably be excited about. On the other hand, it is lying since they are sending it to someone who will most likely believe it.

I'm curious to see what you think about the book.