Cynthia's Reviews > The Butterfly

The Butterfly by Patricia Polacco

Nov 14, 08

bookshelves: historical, intermediate-adolescent-lit, picture-books, realistic-fiction
Recommended for: intermediate grade and up
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

This picture book is set in Paris during the Nazi occupation .It's the story of a young girl who learns that her mother is harboring a Jewish family in a secret hiding spot. As we discussed in class, this book would pair well with Shiloh because it addresses the issue of when and if it's okay to lie. It also pairs well with Number the Stars, which is also about the Holocaust.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Butterfly.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I like how you pair up this book with others. In upper grades, they could now take a field trip to the Holocaust museum that is open in Skokie. Wouldn't that be a great unit?!

Cynthia Yes! That is a great idea. Too bad I teach primary.

I have been trying to pair fiction and nonfiction sources as a way to build students' background knowledge. I heard some research that teachers read alouds are predominantly fiction, so I have been working on achieving a better balance.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura I spent a few hours at the NLU library today and they had a really solid selection of non-fiction books. The best part is that you can keep them for 12 weeks and it the NS campus doesn't have it, they will get it for you within two days.